7

Jacob-

Christmas came and Jacob sat with his two friends. Gene had nowhere to stay and was actively avoiding the three causing the three to actively fear for his well-being. The only person he didn't distance himself from was Pandora but even then their conversations were short. Regulus suggested that they buy him chocolate frogs or a new pair of wool gloves but Pandora quickly shot the idea down. Jacob was too mad at his brother to think of reparation gifts. He wanted nothing more than to pummel his hand into his brother's face and watch the blood drip from James' nose. How dare he try and interfere in his friendships? What type of brother was he? James had tried to apologize but Jacob ignored him, knowing that the bruises appearing on Gene's cheek weren't coming from a ghost. When the train lurched to a stop, the three friends hugged each other goodbye. Jacob watched as Pandora and Regulus apprehensively walked towards their family. They turned to exchange a quick smile with Jacob before Walburga grabbed Regulus' arm and forced him away. Sirius followed soon behind, frowning at Walburga's sudden violence, before leaving James' side. James saw his brother and gave an innocent grin causing Jacob's hatred to grow. 

"Are you ready for Christmas? I got you a jaw-dropping present," Jacob frowned, backing away before James could give the boy a hug.

"Really? You bought a snake a birthday present?" James frowned at the phrasing, unsure of whether to laugh or scold his brother. Jacob gave a bone-chillingly cold smile, crossing his arms. "I got you a present too, James." James' eyes brightened, it was like they were seven and eight again.

"Really?" Jacob nodded, kneeling down on the ground and rummaging through his luggage. He then pulled out a pair of boxing gloves, forcing James to grab them. James frowned, guilt piling in his stomach. "Why did you get me these?" Jacob giggled, something he never did, and closed his luggage, standing back up only to realize that James was about to cry.

"What, you don't like it? It's insensitive to cry about a gift, Jamesy. Besides, I thought you'd like it due to all of the beatings you've given Gene." James sniffed, harshly batting his eyes. Jacob only then realized that Lily was watching and smiled. "Don't you want to look manly of Evans? Pretty little Evans, the girl who you're in love with, yeah?" James bit his tongue, knowing it was better to stay quiet. "Would she ever love you when she realizes you beat a thirteen-year-old? Imagine her disappointment." 

"I don't beat thirteen-year-olds!" Jacob rolled his eyes, zipping up his coat.

"Sure you don't, Gene doesn't count, does he? Because Gene is a Slytherin. But wait, he's not. He's a Ravenclaw." Jacob gave a considerate pause, tapping his chin before glaring. "I guess you're just morally fucked, is that it? Like mother like son." Jacob took a step towards his older brother whose eyes were flaming red. "You don't deserve a Christmas present just like how I don't deserve to be part of the Potters. I may be a blood traitor but at least I'm not a traitor to humanity." Jacob turned from his brother, ready to go back to being neglected by all. "I hope you have no children," He commented, turning towards his brother who was already hurt. Jacob almost felt a twinge of remorse when he saw James wince but immediately forgot it when he saw the punching gloves. "They would suffer the worst fate imaginable, having half of your genes." 

~

Jacob's mother only talked to his brother for the entire ride to their manor. Everything was about James. How were his grades? How was Lily? How were his friends? How was Gryffindor? Was the quidditch team succeeding? Oh, how proud she was that James was carrying the quidditch team yet again. She ignored Jacob. She forced Jacob to carry his brother's luggage into the manor. She forced Jacob to get dinner started as she helped James unpack. His father only gave him a slight nod of encouragement before immersing himself in the newspaper. Jacob washed the chicken and dressed it, prepping the animal for the oven before cutting vegetables for soup. He had never seen James do any chores. All of the chores were put on Jacob. Maybe his mother thought that it would make the boy less boisterous. Well, that did work. After Jacob returned home from the first year at Hogwarts and was forced to do all of the house chores Jacob stopped communicating. Who could he communicate to? James ignored him, his mother hated him, his father was non-existent. All he could do was be quiet. Maybe that's why his mother picked on him constantly. As soon as his mother returned, she glared at her youngest boy.

"You've cut them too small," Jacob scowled, carefully putting down the knife in order to refrain from stabbing her.

"I'm tired,"

"That's not an excuse,"

"It is for James," She gave a harsh smile, fixing her hair.

"Well he isn't the Slytherin is he?" Jacob clenched his jaw, frowning before taking the cutting board and throwing the vegetables into the trash. His mother gasped, hitting his arm so much that it began to burn. "For Merlin's sake-!"

"I'm sorry, I'm just doing what James would do," His mother blinked, her disappointment palpable.

"James wouldn't do that-,"

"Why, because he's Gryffindor? Well, mother, James has been beating Gene with all of his godly Gryffindor friends. So much, in fact, that Gene is afraid to talk to me because he thinks I'll follow James' lead." Mrs. Potter looked flabbergasted, stuttering over her words. Jacob's eye gleamed in annoyance, tossing the knife into the sink. "What?" He mocked, walking out of the kitchen. "Not much of a hero now, ey?" 

~

Mrs. Potter locked Jacob in his room for five days meaning that he missed Christmas eve and Christmas. James didn't know, of course he didn't, and carelessly walked past his brother's room not realizing how hungry Jacob was. Jacob was only given the leftovers causing him to become thinner and thinner. When Christmas came, James spent three hours carefully wrapping his brother's gift. When he went downstairs he saw no trace of Jacob. Frowning, James entered the kitchen to see his mother wearing a Gryffindor sweater while adorning a Santa hat. He gave her a quick peck on the cheek before sitting down at the dining table only to notice that three plates were set. 

"Mum, where's Jacob?" Her eyes flashed something that James couldn't understand before giving her eldest a smile, piling pancakes on his plate.

"Up in his room, he's doing a time out." James nodded before picking up his plate. 

"Can I bring this to him?" Mrs. Potter laughed, forcing James to sit down again.

"He's serving a punishment right now. He doesn't eat the food right away," James frowned, his appetite suddenly vanishing.

"What do you mean, mum?" 

"I mean, he only eats what we don't eat," James' stomach dropped and he remember how much he gorged himself. He immediately stood up, brushing off his mother's hands before pulling on his hair.

"Mum, that's starvation!" Mrs. Potter looked at her son calmly, realizing that he thought she was a monster. 

"Come now, James. He needs to learn. Spreading lies about you isn't okay,"

"L-Lies?" Mrs. Potter nodded, picking up the plate of pancakes and forcing them into his hands.

"About how you beat Gene? Those can't be true. That's not my golden child now is it," Mrs. Potter fixed her son's hair, admiring his beauty before pinching his cheeks. "I have to go shopping. If I come back to see Jacob fed I'll only assume that he forced himself out and he won't eat for a day. Do you understand?" James stuttered, unsure of whether or not to take her seriously.

"Mum, he's my brother," His mother's eyes hardened and her touch turned cold.

"He's nothing of the sort. He is a snake through and through. I taught you good from bad and I expect you to listen to me. Do you understand me?" James nodded, formulating a plan in his head. She cupped his cheeks, smiling heartily before patting his head. "Good boy, you make me so proud James."

James didn't give his brother food. Instead, he gave his brother something better. An owl, paper, and a quill.