Reunion (Levi x Reader)

Author's Note: Hello, lovelies! Here's that second, non-saucy version of my post-game imaginings I promised you. Enjoy the fluff!

You nearly cried when you reached Wall Rose – having been stranded in enemy territory for the past week. After your convoy had been ambushed by a horde of titans during a recovery mission, you'd stayed behind to buy your comrades time to escape, slicing nape after nape until your gas ran dry and your blades snapped to pieces. Somehow, you were the last one standing, but by that point, the Scout Regiment was long gone. You passed out shortly thereafter, exhausted from the rush of adrenaline your body had used to survive this nightmare.

When you awoke, the sun was shining – though you were fairly certain it wasn't the same day. Your body still ached from the exertion, so much so that you could barely move. On top of that, you were parched and starving, but you supposed you should at least be grateful a titan hadn't come along and eaten you. Alone and without resources, you staggered into the nearest house and lay low until night arrived. Then you traveled by moonlight, repeating the same routine for the next several days, until you miraculously made it back.

Naturally, the Garrison was quite shocked to see you, but they brought you inside with all haste. A dozen officers surrounded you, bombarding you with questions while two doctors tried unsuccessfully to fend them off. However, you were too injured, malnourished, and sleep-deprived by this point to give any answers beyond a few vague nods.

Finally, the regional commander arrived and ordered the others away. He brought food, which you scarfed down eagerly while the doctors cleaned and bandaged your injuries. Then he said something about informing the Scouts of your return, but you were already passing out in your infirmary bed.

When you awoke, one of the doctors gave you some breakfast before leading you to the showers – which you were immensely grateful for. Now that your needs for sleep and food had been satisfied, you were appalled at the dirt and sweat that was crusted over every inch of you, as well as the...unpleasant smell. Idly, you wondered what Captain Levi would think if he could see you now.

Levi.

The thought of him caused a sharp ache in your chest. What had he been going through this past week, after hearing the report of your death? Despite his coldhearted outer layer, you knew he cared deeply for his fellow soldiers – for you more than most. At Commander Erwin's request, Levi had coached you after you graduated from the Trainee Corps. Then the two of you had become friends while fighting side-by-side beyond the Walls. And then...well, you were fairly certain he had fallen in love with you. You could tell by the slight changes in his demeanor, but you never asked him about it, understanding romance was difficult for someone who'd lost as many people as he had.

Regardless, you knew how much it hurt him to lose a comrade in any capacity, despite his near-perfect attempts to hide his feelings from the world. You couldn't stand the thought of your supposed death weighing on him for an entire week, even if it wasn't your fault. He didn't deserve to have anyone else ripped away from him. Too much had been taken already.

You savored a nice, long shower before dressing in a clean set of borrowed clothes and returning to the infirmary. The doctor had just finished changing your bandages when a messenger walked in, announcing that several Scouts had arrived to retrieve you. You hastily checked to ensure you were presentable before following him to the top of Wall Rose. Apparently, the Scout officers had been taken up there to speak with the Garrison regional commander.

You stepped out of the lift and immediately started looking around. It didn't take long to spot them – the Wings of Freedom displayed proudly on their green cloaks. Even just seeing the backs of their heads, you instantly recognized Commander Erwin, Section Commander Hanji, your squad, and...