The People's Day (Levi x Reader Revolution AU)

One year ago, under the leadership of Commander Erwin, the revolutionaries overthrew the corrupt government – a move that was widely applauded by the ordinary citizens, who'd been neglected and exploited by their rulers for years. Historia, a cousin of the former king and one sympathetic to the people's needs, was installed as the new queen, and a parliament was established to represent the citizens' voice. From that point on, peace reigned, and the country began to rebuild.

Today, a holiday had been declared – The People's Day – to celebrate the anniversary of the revolutionaries' victory. Almost all businesses closed so citizens could gather with their families and neighbors – baking special foods, dancing, and playing games. In the capital, there was going to be a magnificent parade through the city, and at the end of it, Erwin himself would be giving a speech.

This past year had been one of revitalization and prosperity for the country. As you glanced through the narrow gap between the stage curtains and looked out across the square, you could scarcely believe how much had changed. Before, everything had felt grey and dead, but now, the streets and shops and even the citizens themselves were full of color, alive.

You smiled upon seeing how excited everyone looked, how they'd packed into the square to watch the end of the parade and Erwin's speech, how they waved flags and threw confetti. This was what you and your comrades had fought for – freedom, prosperity, and happiness for everyone.

With a herald of trumpets and much cheering, the energetic and eclectic parade – which had started on the other side of the city – arrived at the opposite end of the square. Dancers, musicians, acrobats, majorettes, jugglers, and animal trainers (with their animal companions) processed through the gap in the middle of the crowd, happily showing off their talents. The old government never would've allowed such individualistic expression, but in your view, the lack of conformity, uniforms, and straight lines was a positive development.

With your heart warmed by the display, you returned your attention to the short captain in front of you, who looked quite dashing in his military regalia. You'd been helping him put on all his adornments, making sure everything was perfect for his public appearance. In just a few minutes, he'd be walking onto that stage right behind Erwin.

Levi, with his eyes lowered, muttered softly, "This is ridiculous. I shouldn't be out there with him. He's the one who won the war, not me."

"Maybe, but he couldn't have done it without you. That's why he wants you by his side," you told him with a soft smile. You finished straightening one of his medals, then lifted your hand to lay it on his cheek. "You're his strong, dependable captain, who executed every impossible mission he planned. The masses love you – and you deserve the recognition."

"No more than any of you," Levi replied. He cupped his hand over the one you pressed against his cheek, holding you close, his mercury eyes meeting yours. "You and the brats were right there beside me on those impossible missions, risking your lives just as much as I was."

"Yes, and we got our medal-of-honor ceremony at the end of the war," you reminded him with a grin. "But now that it's peacetime, they don't want to keep parading the entire army around. Just our fearless leader and his fearless leader will do."

He huffed. "Tch. It's not the entire army. Just the seven of you."

You giggled, then leaned in to kiss the furrow between his brows, hoping to smooth it away. "We're just happy you appreciate us. That's all the recognition we need."

"Still..." Levi muttered with a sigh, the fingers of his free hand absently finding the engagement ring he'd placed on your finger not too long ago. "It'd be...easier, if you were with me."