Beautiful (Insecure Levi x Reader)

Author's Note: Hello, lovelies! This one contains small spoilers for the end of the manga, and it also gets pretty steamy (but no smut). If you still want to take the plunge, I hope you enjoy!

Several months had passed since the war ended, since Levi got out of the hospital and the two of you began living together in your new home. From a certain perspective, things were now better than ever. You and your husband were finally getting to enjoy the peace you'd fought so long and so hard for, getting to enjoy a quiet and romantic life. Even Levi's grievous injuries from the final battle were healing better than expected, and he could now walk on his own for up to a few hours at a time, though he still leaned heavily on a cane.

Yet, you found yourself feeling disquieted in spite of your relative happiness, because you'd noticed Levi had been acting strange lately. For one, he'd been exercising more, bordering on straining himself too much, considering he was still unable to properly use his left leg. He'd also been creating more physical labor for himself around the house, such as cultivating a garden in the backyard. And then, several times, you'd caught him examining different areas of his body in the mirror, a small frown pulling at his lips.

Two nights ago, he'd started avoiding certain activities you both would otherwise engage in quite frequently. He'd mumbled some excuse about being too exhausted before quickly burying himself beneath the blankets on your bed, and you'd let the subject drop, not wanting to pressure him when he so clearly wasn't up for it. Instead, you'd pressed a chaste and loving kiss to his head before tucking yourself in, feeling concerned and a little sad as you wondered why he would reject you. And you did the same the following night.

Now, after mulling it over and putting the pieces together, you were fairly certain you knew what was going on, though you honestly found it difficult to believe. Levi had never seemed to fuss over his physical attractiveness, aside from keeping himself clean and presentable. He'd even told you once that as long as you liked the way he looked – which you did, very much so – he didn't care about the rest. Thus, you wouldn't have expected him to start feeling insecure about his body.

Yet, that seemed to be exactly what was happening. While you didn't want to make him uncomfortable, you also couldn't allow him to go on thinking he was somehow not attractive enough for you. So, you decided you would just have to show him how gorgeous he was, and once he understood that, his discomfort would go away.

Levi worked outside until it was time to wash up for dinner, but you saw your opportunity once the meal was done. After you two finished cleaning off your dishes side-by-side in front of the sink, you turned to him, ready to get the ball rolling. But just as you opened your mouth, Levi wheeled himself away.

"I'm going to change my clothes," he muttered without looking at you. "Need to exercise some more."

You closed your mouth, watching with a furrowed brow as he disappeared into the bedroom. Then you stood there, frowning at the counter while you wondered whether you should wait until later. But in the end, you decided you couldn't just allow him to excessively work out, knowing the act was fueled by insecurity.

When you arrived at the bedroom, you saw Levi in his wheelchair, his back to you while he rummaged through the dresser. You stopped in the doorway for a brief second, admiring the way his muscles rippled beneath his white button-down shirt, the slight shift of his silky black hair catching the moonlight as he moved. Every inch of him was absolutely stunning in your eyes, and you weren't going to rest tonight until he fully believed it.

You cleared your throat as you glided across the room, alerting him to your presence so he wouldn't be surprised. Old habits died hard, and while you both were safe in your new home, you didn't want to startle him into survival mode – in fact, that was the exact opposite of how you wanted him to feel. "Darling," you cooed when you reached his side, brushing your knuckles suggestively across his cheek.