Just Levi (Insecure Levi x Reader)

"Thanks again for helping me with all this paperwork, you two."

"We don't mind," you told Erwin honestly, and Levi grunted his agreement.

The three of you had been sitting in the commander's office for hours, trudging your way through all the documents that had piled up during Erwin's days-long trip to the interior for a meeting with the military brass and the politicians. Normally, you'd use this time to drink tea and enjoy yourselves, but Erwin had been so bogged-down that he couldn't afford to take a break. Rather than leaving him to suffer on his own, you and Levi had insisted on helping him.

"Seriously, how many times do we have to tell you? It's annoying." Levi grumbled from where he sat next to you at Erwin's desk.

The commander chuckled softly. "I just want to express my appreciation. I feel terrible that you have to spend your free hours doing paperwork."

"We don't have to. We volunteered," you assured him. "Besides, what are friends for?"

"Yes, but...I know it's not the most enjoyable way to pass your free time."

"It's not so bad," you countered. "We still get to hang out and talk. I'm having a great time. Levi?"

"Tch," the captain hissed with a roll of his eyes. "I suppose it's not terrible. It'd be better if we had tea, though."

You almost could've predicted the statement. Yet, it still made your heart melt, because you found Levi's tea obsession endearing. Just like you found all his quirks endearing.

"Why don't you go make some, then?" Erwin suggested. "You're the best at it."

"Don't think flattery will get you anywhere," Levi grumbled, but he was already rising from his chair.

You and Erwin exchanged an amused glance before chiming, "Thank you!" as Levi walked out the door.

------------------------------------------

Levi balanced the full tea tray carefully with one hand, using his other to open the door to Erwin's office. Yet, just as his hand touched the knob, the sound of muffled laughter from within reached his ears. Then he heard (f/n) and Erwin's voices talking animatedly to each other, though he couldn't quite make out their words.

He pushed the door open. "Oi, have you two been goofing off the whole time I was gone?"

(F/n) and Erwin looked up at him, sheepish expressions on their faces.

"Come on, Levi, we can take a little break," (f/n) chimed, smiling in a way that made his knees feel weak. "We were just chatting about the newest Slade book. Erwin thinks Emilia should choose the boring good guy, but I think she should go for his bad-boy brother."

"The king isn't boring," Erwin chimed in. "He simply stays out of trouble, and Emilia deserves someone who won't put her in danger all the time."

"Samuel doesn't do it on purpose! Besides, Emilia also deserves someone who actually loves her, instead of someone who only marries her because it's their duty," (f/n) countered immediately. "Levi, tell him I'm right."

"Tch. I have no idea what either of you are talking about," the captain grumbled as he cleared a space on the desk and began to pour three cups of tea.

"That's okay. You can just assume I'm right," she replied, her lips quirking upward. "Because I am."

"No, she's not," Erwin quipped with a wink.

"Oh yeah? Prove it!"

Levi listened to them bicker while he set their cups in front of them, then sat back in his chair with his own cup. The two paused very briefly to thank him before launching into a debate over the merits of security versus passion. Both of them were completely engrossed – their paperwork forgotten.