The Legend of Ackermans (Levi x Reader) - Book Two: Fire

"Welcome," stated a man who you could only assume was Fire Lord Zuko – given his gold flame hairpiece, his luxurious red robes, and the scar covering the left side of his face, which Toakaq had told you about. His voice carried through the courtyard as he descended the steps of the palace, and all the guards and servants bowed as he passed.

You and Levi had taken a ship from the Northern Water Tribe to Capital Island, which was home to Capital City – the capital of the Fire Nation. (You had to admire how straightforward they were when it came to naming things.) An escort had met you at the harbor, then taken you by carriage to the Fire Nation Royal Palace. It rested in the crater of a dormant volcano, which certainly made a statement, as did the impressive architecture of the complex itself.

When the man reached the ground where you stood, he introduced himself as exactly who you'd thought he was. "We're honored to have you here," he told you both. "Honestly, I was surprised to hear a firebender had come from Paradis, given that it's practically on the other side of the world. We have no record of any of our citizens being trapped there when the Walls went up. Of course, we had a lot going on a hundred years ago..." His voice became solemn as he trailed off.

"The war," Levi stated – perhaps a little too bluntly – referencing the hundred-year military campaign waged by the Zuko's ancestors, with the goal of dominating the other three elemental lands.

Zuko nodded.

"But Toakaq told us things are a lot better, now!" you chimed in an attempt to be diplomatic. "He said you're working hard to help the other nations recover from the war, and that you're a strong advocate for peace."

"That's very kind," Zuko murmured, smiling warmly. Then he cleared his throat. "Anyway, we've arranged for you two to stay here at the palace. We'll provide your food, and clothes – since I imagine those Water Tribe garments are a bit warm for our climate. Of course, you're welcome to come and go as you please. I'd certainly encourage you to experience as much as you can. We have many natural wonders, vacation destinations, and cultural festivals I'd highly recommend. The theatrical productions sometimes leave a bit to be desired, though," he added with a chuckle.

"My staff can provide any travel tips you might need," the Fire Lord continued. "Otherwise, Levi, we've retained one of the best firebending instructors in our nation to teach you. We've also arranged for you to take classes on our history and culture, so you can learn about your heritage."

"Thank you," Levi muttered.

Zuko nodded. "And (f/n) – while he's occupied with lessons, you're welcome to spend your time however you please. Feel free to explore the grounds, the town, whatever you wish. I imagine you'll want to practice waterbending as well. We have several ponds around the palace, but please be mindful of the turtle ducks. You can also go down to the ocean and practice there."

"Turtle ducks?" you questioned eagerly with wide eyes, thinking they sounded incredibly cute.

He laughed. "Indeed. I'm sure you'll see a lot of them while you're here."

A servant stepped forward to whisper in the Fire Lord's ear.

"Ah, it seems dinner is ready," Zuko told you, gesturing toward the palace. "We should get going. My wife will be joining us, and she gets cranky when she's hungry – but don't tell her I said that."

------------------------------------------

"Welcome back, Levi!" you chimed, jumping up from your seat by the pond to hug your husband tightly.

"Hey, brat," he muttered, wrapping his arm around you and pressing a kiss to your cheek. "Are you bothering the turtle ducks again?"

You pulled back to look at him, pouting. "I am not bothering them," you stated indignantly. "I'm admiring their cuteness. Care to join?"