Wicked Woods (Levi x Witch Reader)

Author's Note: Happy Halloween, my spooky spooks! Just wanted to let you know this treat gets steamy toward the end, so if you don't want that kind of wickedness today, you should skip the last 500 words or so. Otherwise, enjoy!

The forest was her domain. If anyone entered with intent to do her harm, they'd never find her. Instead, they'd wander around in circles for hours, tormented by bats and wolves and even the trees themselves, until the woods finally spat them out.

However, when Levi entered...

As soon as he set one foot in the forest, the trees moved aside for him, creating a wide path. The moon shone brightly from the sky, lighting his way so he wouldn't trip, wouldn't need to fear. Fireflies appeared to dance along either side of the walkway – a welcoming party, celebrating his return.

She was happy to have him here, and therefore, the woods were happy, too.

His journey through the forest was short and smooth, uninhibited by vengeful creatures, instead filled with the calming sounds of crickets' chirps and owls' hoots. If he'd looked back, he would've seen the trees closing behind him – but he wouldn't have worried. He knew he had nothing to fear from them, knew they were merely concealing the path so no one else could follow. They'd open again the second he wanted to leave.

But that wouldn't be for a long while yet.

Eventually, he came to a small clearing, with a burbling brook occupying one side and a cozy cottage occupying the other. The windows of the cottage glowed with warm light, and a thin curl of smoke wafted up from the chimney. In the air, he picked up on familiar, faint hints of vanilla and sugar, and although he wasn't one for sweets, the aroma made his lips tilt into a small smile.

It was the smell of her magic. Of her.

When he arrived at the front door, the cottage opened for him just as the forest had. He stepped inside – and a warm, contented feeling settled within his chest. Finally, he was here.

He left his boots by the door, then hung his jacket on the coat rack. Looking around the cottage, he didn't see her yet, but he did see a fire crackling in the fireplace, a cauldron simmering on the stove, all the shelves full of books and bottles and magical items covering the walls. There was certainly a lot packed into the small space – which was still somehow bigger on the inside than it appeared on the outside – but it was perfectly clean and organized, and for that, he was always grateful.

The cat familiar consented to come out from wherever she'd been snoozing to allow Levi the honor of petting her. Initially, she'd hidden herself during his visits, but as time had passed, she'd grown used to his presence and determined he wasn't a threat. Now, she pranced over to greet him at the door, chin raised in a regal manner.

She claimed the familiar could speak, yet Levi still hadn't heard it for himself. However, after seeing the way the cat looked at him, after observing all her strange behaviors, he was convinced she at least perceived more than a normal cat should. He wouldn't have been surprised if she were intentionally hiding the true extent of her abilities from him, just to make him wonder.

Levi bent down to pet the cat's soft head a few times before she scampered off, her bushy tail high in the air. And despite her better-than-thou attitude, he couldn't help but find her cute. He stood up straight as he watched her hop into a large armchair by the fireplace, where she immediately curled up and went to sleep.

Then a familiar pair of arms slid around his waist, followed by a body pressed against his back, a cheek against his own. Normally, Levi would've thrown off the intruder immediately, but that was the furthest thing from his mind. Instead, he slid his own arms over the ones that held him, and he relaxed back into the warm embrace. Into her.