Both (Intersex Levi x Reader)

Author's Note: Hello, my lovelies! This story was inspired by the "Requiem of the Rose King" anime. As in that, I figured intersexuality probably isn't something widely talked about, understood, or accepted in the "Attack on Titan" universe. Thus, I made the reader lacking in knowledge initially but open to learning. 

TW for discussion of unkind/inhumane treatment of intersex people. 

You were exhausted from another long day of training, about to crawl into bed for what would hopefully be a night of uninterrupted, restful sleep, when a soft knock sounded on your door. Confused as to who would be visiting you at this late hour – as well as a little disappointed that you couldn't pass out just yet – you sighed before shuffling across your bedroom. However, your mood lifted slightly when you opened the door and saw the man standing on the other side of it.

"Oh, it's you," you murmured, giving Levi a warm smile. You were always pleased to see the captain – now your fiancé, as of three weeks ago.

Yet, your smile faded and your brow furrowed when you registered his demeanor. His arms were crossed tightly over his chest, his lips pursed, his grey eyes wide. He looked incredibly nervous.

"I...I have to tell you something," he muttered quietly.

"Okay," you replied, wondering what on earth would bring him to your room at this hour – and in such a state. You held the door open wide, creating space for him to enter. "Come on. Let's sit down."

Once Levi was inside, you shut and locked the door before guiding him to sit next to you on the edge of your bed. He was careful as he perched on the edge, and his arms remained tightly wrapped across his chest. His eyes kept flicking between you, the wall, and the floor. For a long moment, he didn't say anything.

Finally, he took a deep breath and mumbled, "Before we get m-married, I...you s-should know...I was born with both..."

He paused – and you, not understanding where he was going with this, gently prodded, "Both...?"

His eyes darted to the wall, his cheeks flushing red. "Both...m-male and f-female parts...d-down there..."

"Oh," you murmured, surprised. You'd never heard of that happening before, but you didn't think Levi would lie about it, so you believed him. "Okay."

"Okay?" Levi questioned faintly, still not looking at you.

"Well...yeah. Okay," you stated. You weren't sure how you were supposed to react, but he seemed pretty vulnerable right now, so you wanted to comfort him in whatever way you could. You tried, "I mean, thank you for trusting me enough to tell me. But it doesn't change how I feel about you. You know that, right?"

Levi's bottom lip quivered, and tears pricked his eyes.

"Oh," you gasped, now realizing how anxious this had made him. Immediately, you were reaching out, pulling him into your arms, cooing, "Shh, it's okay. I love you. I love you. I'll always love you."

You felt a wet droplet hit your shirt – then another, and another – accompanied by soft, broken sounds. Before long, Levi began crying in earnest into your shoulder. You held him as close as you could, rubbing his back while you cooed sweet, sincere words.

"I love you. I love you. I love your compassionate heart, and your clever mind, and your personality. The way you make tea just right. Your obsession with cleanliness. And your body. I love your body, Levi. It's perfect."

At that, Levi hiccupped. "No, it's not," he spat bitterly. "I'm a f-freak. In the Underground, they throw people like me in cages and charge money to s-see us. And the Wall Cult would b-burn me alive if they knew. They say people like me are demon s-spawn."

"Well, the Wall Cult hasn't always been famous for its sound judgement," you replied in what was obviously an understatement. "Besides, I actually know you, and I know you're not anything close to demon spawn. Demons don't risk their lives to save humanity like you do."

Levi gritted his teeth, trying to stop his tears. "Still...I'm a freak..."

"No, you're not a freak," you insisted gently. "You may be different, but that's not automatically a bad thing. And like I said, I think you're perfect, just as you are."

"You h-haven't even...s-seen it..."

"I don't need to," you assured him, gently rocking him back and forth. "I love every part of you, Levi. Even the parts I haven't seen yet."

Levi apparently couldn't think of anything to say to that, so he simply cried into your shirt, trying to muffle his sounds with the fabric. You continued rocking him back and forth, not minding that he needed some extra reassurance. He'd probably spent his whole life hearing that people like him were mistakes, despised and ridiculed. In fact, he'd probably never revealed his secret to anyone before you, and telling you had probably taken all his courage. He'd probably been terrified you'd break off the engagement and leave him, confirming his worst fear – that he'd never be good enough for the people he loved. Such deeply rooted negativity toward his body wouldn't just go away with a few words from you, but you were willing to be patient. Levi deserved that much, at the very least.

When he finally stopped crying, you tilted his chin to face you, wiped the tears from his cheeks, and said, "I love every piece of you. And I still want to marry you. Okay?"

He nodded, then croaked out, "Okay."

"Good," you murmured. "Now, I want to ask you something. I'm sorry if it comes out wrong, but I promise I'm only asking because I want to respect you. Do you identify as a male? I know that's what you show to everyone, but..." You bit your lip, internally cursing yourself for not knowing the right words. You'd met people before who identified as a different gender than their body parts would suggest, but as far as you knew, none of them were like Levi.

Yet, Levi didn't seem offended. "Yeah. I...even though I have both, I've always felt more...male. And my chest isn't...you know...so..."

"Got it." You pressed a kiss to his temple. "Thank you."

Levi met your eyes, his brow furrowing. "For what?" he questioned, confused.

"For telling me all this. For trusting me enough to," you told him.

He clicked his tongue, then mumbled, "We're getting married. You would've found out anyway..."

"Well, it takes a lot of trust to marry someone," you pointed out kindly. "To share your life with them, to show them all the things no one else will ever see. I'm glad you feel like you can open up to me about anything. I want that for us."

Levi looked away, a faint blush forming on his cheeks. "I'm glad we're like this, too," he admitted quietly.

Your heart warmed at his sweetness, and you smiled. "Hey – since you're here, do you wanna sleep in my bed tonight?" you offered.

That earned a soft glance from him. "Yeah...that'd be nice," he agreed.