Distance (Husband Levi x Wife Reader Modern AU)

Author's Note: Hello, lovelies! I've been giving you a lot of juicy and/or fluffy stuff recently, so I'll be making up for it with a bit more angst over the next several weeks. Enjoy!

"Fine," (f/n) growled, glaring at Levi from the other side of the kitchen island, her angry expression not fitting with the cozy pajamas she was wearing.

She'd come out here for a glass of water before bed, and after a day of rubbing each other the wrong way, they'd ignited into a full-blown argument. Levi wasn't even sure what they were fighting about anymore. He only knew he was furious with her.

His wife continued, "If you're going to keep acting this way, I don't think it's a good idea for me to go with you tomorrow. We both need some time away from each other."

"Tch," Levi growled. "Finally, we agree on something."

This would be the first time (f/n) didn't accompany him to a gymnastics competition since they'd started dating. Until now, she'd dutifully flown all over the world with him and the rest of the country's official team – even to the Olympics last year – cheering him on from the sidelines. Her presence had brought an end to years of loneliness, years of feeling abandoned and unwanted while he'd watched his teammates run off to celebrate victories with their loved ones, knowing he had no one in the world who cared about him like that. So he'd always cherished her support, always felt his universe light up whenever his eyes found her smile in the crowd.

But right now, he couldn't stand to spend another minute in the same room as her – let alone have her by his side for hours of international travel and then a competition.

"Fine. Then hurry up and go to bed," (f/n) muttered. "I'm sleeping on the couch tonight."

Levi gritted his teeth. "No. If anyone is sleeping on the couch, it's me."

"Like hell. You're leaving for a competition tomorrow."

"That doesn't –"

"Just stop arguing with me, Levi!" she snapped, slamming her palms on the kitchen island.

For a moment, they simply glared at each other, neither of them speaking.

Then Levi clicked his tongue. "Fine. If you want to be uncomfortable, I won't stop you," he hissed before turning on his heel and stalking into the bedroom, slamming the door shut behind himself.

------------------------------------------

Levi did lie down in the bed, though it took him a while to actually fall asleep. His mind was swirling with thoughts of their fight, preventing him from achieving the calm state he needed, instead causing him to toss and turn and stare angrily up at the dark ceiling. He didn't want to be at odds with his wife, didn't want to upset her, and yet, he couldn't help being so incredibly frustrated with her.

But he must've fallen asleep eventually, because the next thing he knew, he was waking to the sound of his five-o'clock alarm. He'd already packed his suitcase, so there wasn't much to do besides freshen up and get dressed. Once he was presentable, he left the bedroom and slipped through the house as silently as a cat, so he wouldn't wake (f/n).

Levi passed by her while she slept on the couch, curled on her side underneath a spare blanket, half her face sinking into the pillow. For just a moment, he stopped and looked at her, his heart aching because she wasn't going with him this time. But then he remembered how angry she'd made him last night, and his heart hardened, shutting out any regrets he might've had about leaving her. With gritted teeth, he turned away and stalked toward the front door.

Levi stopped in the entryway and set his suitcase aside so he could put on his shoes. But before he could retrieve them from the rack, he noticed a note taped to the door. He plucked it off, reading the words penned in his wife's familiar handwriting.

I want to make sure you know I still love you, even though we're fighting. Don't worry about our argument while you're gone. Just focus on the competition, do your best, and I'll be cheering for you from our living room. We'll work out everything else when you get back.

Love you always,

(F/n)

Tears pricked Levi's eyes while guilt welled inside his chest. He pressed his lips into a thin line and stared at her words, the paper crumpling slightly as his grip tightened. She...goddamnit. He couldn't leave her like this.

Levi walked back into the living room, to the couch, where his wife was still sleeping soundly. He gazed at her for a moment before reaching out to brush her hair back from her face. Then he leaned down and pressed a kiss to her temple, letting his lips linger there, wanting her to feel his adoration even after he was gone.

"Mmm?" she hummed, stirring beneath him. Her face scrunched up, and it took a moment for her eyelids to crack open, to find his gaze. Even then, he could tell she was still mostly asleep.

"I love you, too," he whispered against her skin. "Always."

"Mmm," she grumbled, shifting a bit more.

He straightened up to see what she was doing, and at that exact moment, her hand escaped the blanket and found his, holding it gently.

Levi's heart softened. He squeezed her hand, then tucked it underneath the blanket. "Go back to sleep, now," he whispered.

She complied immediately – if she hadn't been asleep already. He wasn't sure if she'd even remember this when she awoke in a few hours. But he hoped she would. He hoped she'd at least have some vague recollection of his lips on her temple, his hand in hers, his love spoken softly and tenderly against her skin.

Feeling a bit lighter, Levi once again made his way to the front door. He was still off-kilter at the knowledge that she wouldn't be coming with him this time, but he told himself it'd be okay. They'd both get some space, take a breath, and then they'd work everything out. This distance between them wouldn't last forever, but their love for each other would.