07 | sunny side up

💓 HARMONY'S POV 💓
----- -----

*ding ding*

I opened my eyes and sat up in my bed. The alarm ringed out throughout the place. We're actually waking up for the first day of work in Polus with aliens on our tail. I'm scared. "But everything will be alright!" I told myself. "We're not going to kill eachother this time!". I got out of my bed and changed into my uniform clothing. "Today's going to be a great day!"

"Maybe....."

I got out my tablet and walked out of my bedroom towards the Office. Some of the others were already awake and eating their breakfast. "Good morning, everyone!" I exclaimed to them all. I was greeted with some simple 'good mornings' back.

I rummaged through the cabinets to try and find something to eat. "Oh! There's no need to do that!" Paolo told me. "I already made fried eggs for us!". "Oh, thank you!" I beamed. True to his word, there was already a plate of fried eggs already on the table. The sunny side up kind. I took one of them for myself and started eating it. "Mmm, you're really good at cooking!" I told him. "How early did you have to wake up to make this?". "Only an hour," Paolo replied back. "My parent used to teach me all kinds of stuff about cooking!".

I saw someone from the corner of my eye enter the room. "Hey hi, Egg!!" I shouted over to them. "Oh, h-hi" he replied. He sat next to me amd started pulling his hair into its ponytail. "What are you guys eating?" he asked us. "Fried eggs!" Paolo smiled. "Courtesy of me of course". "You wanna try one?" I asked Egg. Egg just blankly stared at us for a moment. "Uhhh, okay?". I passed them a plate of eggs while I continued eating my own. "Hmm. This is pretty good!" he said. "Did you use any spices for this, Paolo?". "Only salt and pepper," the older guy replied. "Not like I can find some fancy spices on here".

----- -----

We stood outside the Office, our stomachs satisfied as we looked through our tasks. "Do you want to stick together?" I asked Egg. "Ah, alright," he replied. "It might be safer for us to be in duos or groups".

"Preferably in groups more than two," we heard someone say. Princess was also standing outside with us. "Don't mean to remind you of any bad memories, but on my ship, the imposters mostly did double kills". "Double kills?". The blonde looked towards us and simply sighed. "Most of the people back on my ship went into duos, but the imposters knew who eachother were," she explained. "So they killed people together, one imposter killing one person while the other imposter killed the other person. That way, they killed more people each day".

"Th-That's horrible!" I gasped. "That's cruel," Egg trembled. "It's a strategy from bloodthirsty killers," Princess nagged. "Of course it's going to be horrible and cruel! So watch out for people who go into duos too much,". She started walking away, until Egg spoke up. "Do you wanna work with me and Harmony?" they asked her. "You seemed to prefer working in trios-".

 "You seemed to prefer working in trios-"

"As if!!" she mocked us. "I only told you that to tell you of the dangers. And it's not like I wanted to team up with you or anything!". She walked off again, her heels clacking underneath her. "I'm not trusting a bunch of rookies to watch my back". Me and Egg were left standing there. Speechless. "Well, do you still want to stay in a duo?" I asked Egg. "Or I could accompany you guys". Paolo stepped out of the Office and waved to us. "Would you like to work with a guy like me?" "Of course!" I told him. "Do you have any tasks in the 02 or Security Rooms?". "I have tasks in Electrical!" he said. "That's pretty near to those rooms". "Great!" Egg smiled. "We can go right now!". "Kay, come on, guys!" I beamed.

----- -----

ERROR IN SYSTEM

E R R O R  I N  S Y S T E M

*.         . * ・。
     ˚  ˳     °
  *  .    ゜゚・。゚
🥀🥀🌹🥀🥀

"Come in, come in".

The person walked in and closed the door behind them. They knew that when I called them, that our conversation had to be private. "Why did you call me?" they asked me. "Is this about the.....". They hesitated for a moment. "Project.....?"

"Sort of," I replied. "You know how I told you to prepare in case of a worst case scenario?". They nodded, but they looked terrified. "Y-You don't mean that....."

"I'm the imposter," I told them. "You're not though, which is fine-". "But they're coming after you!" they yelled. "What if you die!?". I knew they were going to say that, and I started rummaging around in my drawers.

"I can't have you die!!" they shouted. "You know that! How will I-". "You know we're worth more dead than alive when we're in this project," I replied. "You have heart where you were supposed to have brains, you know, and I don't know whether that'll help you in this situation".

"Here". I threw over to them a gun from my drawers. They looked pretty startled from that. "I know one of their options will be throwing the dead bodies into the nearby lava, but I'm not going to go out that way". "I-It would be painful," they stuttered. They dropped the gun onto the floor and kicked it away towards me. I kicked it back towards them.

"So if the group find out I'm the imposter, shoot me," I said. "Preferably in the head, so my death's quick- Wait, Are you...?".

Their tears were streaming down their cheeks like a waterfall. They were always so emotional ever since birth. But, this time, it hurt so much more to me. "Y-You want me to kill you?" they stammered. "B-But.... But,"

"But?". They continued breaking down and fell to the floor. "B-But I'll miss you," they sobbed. "Professor Mallory's making the vaccine so why can't we wait-". "You know they want me dead!" I snapped at them.

They flinched for a moment, before keeping silent again. Still crying. Realising what I had just done, I walked towards them. "I-I'm sorry," I told them. "I-I didn't mean to make you mad at me". "I-I'm not mad," they sniffled. "I'm just sad. Too sad. And scared".

I sighed and sat down next to them and hugged them. "I'll still be here after I die, you know," I told them. "We've known eachother for so long, so you can at least remember what type of person I was". They were still sobbing as I comforted them.

"I'll forever remember you," they cried. "And I'll miss you too". I nodded at them and smiled. "And if you're lucky like always, you might stay alive," I told them. "So"

"Survive for me, okay?"

----- -----
Research Notes:

I have a tendency to make my favourite characters have the saddest backstories and fates (ㆁωㆁ)

Also, sorry if this chapter was short. I mostly kinda focused on the imposter note at the end 😅😅 But I can tell you, I am excited to reveal who the imposters are!
----- -----