Chapter I: 1001 AD

Sixteen. I was sixteen today. Father had told me I would be with my betrothed today. Erik Kingsman. He had just turned twenty-three a few months ago and I was promised to him the day I was born in exchange for a better life for my family. It was the way life was these days. You had children to trade for food and prosperity. Age was just a number and rape didn't have a name for it.

"Francesca, are you ready?" My father asked as I grabbed my small satchel. I nodded with a smile, running over and hugging my father tightly.

"I love you, father

"I love you, father." He smiled, hugging me back. Enjoying the embrace of his only blood before sending her on way to a new life. "Goodbye, father." I said, pulling back and exiting our little shack of a home. This marriage is what has fed us and kept us alive for many years and thankfully will continue to take care of my father for many years to come.

"Francesca." Erik greeted, standing right outside the home. I offered him a small smile as I walked over to him.

"Hello Erik." I tried to greet, but he grabbed my forearm in a haste, pulling me to follow him. I let out a short quiet gasp, shocked at how aggressive he was within a minute of seeing me. Now, I didn't expect him to love me. Not yet. Love takes time and effort. Erik hasn't had that time yet and I was completely ready to put in the effort. But most future husbands didn't manhandle their woman in public. "Erik, please-" I was instantly silenced with a slap to the face. My body dropping from the shock of being hit. I raised my hand to my reddened cheek, trying to come to terms of what had just happened, but Erik was quick, reaching down and yanking me back up.

"No speaking. You will come to our home, do your chores, take care of me and carry my children. Other than that you will be silent and only smile in thanks. Understood?" He gritted through his teeth. My heart dropped. The man in front of me was not one to be loved. He was the man of horrors. The one who would take what he wanted and throw the leftovers in the trash. I nodded quickly. Not wanting to anger him more. "Good." He responded, grabbing my arm again and continuing the drag to our new home.

By the time we had made it home, the tears that wanted to leave my eyes had dried up. Leaving little crusties to pick out later. Erik had decided that I would be doing the house chores and cooking for him. Thankfully I had learned from my mother before her passing on how to be a good housewife. So I started on cooking, making some fresh bread and wine. Leaving it for him to pick at as he pleased. Moving on to making the bed, and starting laundry. Laundry was my least favorite. Washing things in a tub of soapy water until my fingers looked to be about to fall off.

"Francesca!" I jumped at the sound of Erik shouting for me from inside. Running in as soon as I could. "You look awful. Didn't your mother teach you to always look presentable?" He sneered. I smiled at him, forcefully. He smirked, before walking up to me and grabbing my arm.  I couldn't even process anything as he dragged me to his bed, throwing me onto it. "I believe now is as good as any to make a child. Want you young so we can have many before you grow saggy." He chuckled, darkly. My eyes widened when I realized what was happening. I had never partaken in anything like this, but from what I had heard, it was painful.

"Erik-" I tried, but that only earned me a hard back handed smack to my face.

"You won't learn will you?" He asked, pulling his pants off before crawling on top of me. His grimy hands pulling my dress up so he could get to my underwear. "If you scream, it'll be worse." He said as he moved himself to between my legs, my wrist in his hand and above my head. I was weak, so I knew I couldn't fight him. This was the life of many girls. Used for children. That was my destiny and I wasn't going to fight it. I couldn't. I screamed as he thrusted into me. The feeling of being ripped in half was the first thing I could think of to describe it. Erik let out a long drawn out moan, pulling out of me and slamming himself back into me. I tried to pull my hands from his hold, my body begging me to fight him off. But he ignored me, thrusting himself deep into me. It felt like knives being forced into me, leaving long cuts as he pulled back out. He didn't last long, but to me it felt like an eternity. The pain between my legs, throbbing and screaming. The heat of the liquid he released into me feeling like alcohol on a freshly sliced wound.

Erik was asleep next to me. I just laid there. Tears rushing from my eyes at a quick speed, but not a sound left my mouth. The events of what just happened passing through my head. Is this was Father did to mother? I believed they were in love, but what if it was just a front? Was this what it was going to be like for the rest of my existence? Used and forgotten? I looked over to Erik, hearing his snores. Quietly, I got up, moving to pull a fresh pair of underwear on and leaving the room. I needed fresh air. This life was new but yet already suffocating. How was I to live a life of imprisonment?

Leaving the house, I grabbed a candle, making my way for a short stroll. Thoughts of how I can get through this lifetime passing through me. Wondering if I was really just trapped and had to go through with it or if I would be rescued. That was only a dream though. To be rescued.

Howls and screams, interrupted my thoughts

Howls and screams, interrupted my thoughts. Causing me to run towards it. It sounded bad. I had to help. Running into the woods, I came across a clearing where a young boy was being attacked by what seemed to be a wolf. Not even thinking about it, I jumped out of the trees, throwing the candle at the wolf and attracting it's attention from the young boy. The wolf turned towards me, snarling. I didn't notice the young man helping the boy out of there, staring at me as he did.

The wolf jumped at me

The wolf jumped at me. My thoughts of being trapped for eternity, answered. It wasn't the right thing to do. Never mind being the illogical thing to do. But as that wolf tore into my flesh, all I could think was, 'Thank Goodness.' I was free.