Chapter X: 2009-2010

Stefan helped me clean the blood up. He ended up calling Sheila over to help me inside since I refused to invite him in. Sheila helped me wash my face and hands before forcing me into the shower.

The night ended with Sheila staying at my house so I wouldn't be alone. She was like a grandmother for me. Treating me as if I was her family. I barely slept that night, dreams of Damon killing my father playing on repeat in my mind.

The week went on with people dropping in to give me their condolences. Stefan made up the story that a coyote jumped Franklin on his way into the house. It always came down to an animal attack. Vampires were basically animals. My father's funeral was that Thursday. Elena ended up trying to comfort me, something about how we both lost our parents or something.

At the end of the funeral, I grabbed my bags out of the house and locked the door up, throwing my stuff into the truck.

"Frankie?" Stefan questioned as he came up to me. "Are you going somewhere?" I nodded.

"I need to get out of town for a bit." I told him turning to face him. My eyes were bloodshot from the amount of crying I had gone through.

"Damon won't be a problem-" I shook my head.

"It doesn't matter. I can't stay here."

"But, Frankie-"

"No, Stefan. My father died. I watched him get his throat ripped out right in front of me on that porch!" I shouted, pointing at the porch. "I can't sleep in this house anymore! I keep reliving his death and compared to many ways I have died, watching him die was the worse experience in all of my lives." I cried out. Stefan stared at me, pity in his eyes. He reached out, trying to touch my arm to sooth me but I jerked away from him. "I need to go." I told him, before getting into the truck and peeling out of the driveway.

-

2010

Living in a small apartment in St. Louis, Missouri. How I got here? That day after my Father's funeral, I just drove. I didn't stop until I couldn't cry anymore. I had called Sheila and she had given me her blessing to get away for a while. So here I was, working at a small bakery and living on my own in a small apartment. Living in a big city was a major change for me. I had been here for a bout a year now and haven't seen too many vampire attacks.

I was currently working the late shift at Paul's Bakery. It was owned by an old man who was so sweet. Offered me a job the day I met him when I walked in puffy eyed and lost.

I was preparing to close up, whining down the counter and put the little iron chairs on top of the tables. A man walking by caught my attention out the window. Placing the final chair up onto the table, I ran to the door, walking out to see Elijah Mikaelson walking down the sidewalk.

"Elijah?" I whisper, shocked. He stopped his walk and turned his head, spotting me. He turned rather quickly and tilted his head slightly.

"Frankie?" I smiled at him and nodded. Looking around before walking towards him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, examining him. A nicely tailored suit on him and his hair shorter than the last time I saw him.

"I was just taking a nightly stroll.. You're here.." I nodded, brushing a piece of hair behind my ear. "Sorry- Niklaus told me your situation, I just didn't believe him." I sighed, nodding.

"Yeah, I can't blame you for that. Would you like to come in for some coffee or tea?" I asked, pointing behind me to the bakery. Elijah nodded.

"Sure. That would be nice." I smiled, leading him to the bakery. He held the door open for me as we both went in. "So a nightly stroll, huh?" Elijah let out a chuckle, nodding.

"Niklaus has been looking for you, you know?" He told me, as I poured him some tea. Pausing for a moment as a flash went passed my eyes.

"I'll search for you, Frankie."

Nik's voice floating through my mind.

"Has he?" I asked, turning my head slightly to see him sitting at a table.

"That's the reason for my nightly stroll.. Is it true?" I turned around, bringing his tea over to him.

"Is what true?"

"That you're linked to us...soulmates?" I took a deep breath, nodding.

"It's what I was told by Emily Bennett at least. I still find it hard to believe." Elijah stood up, nodding.

"Soulmates are known to feel something when near each other. When you were dying in 1114 or even in 1694...It was like I could feel my heart breaking. My very much dead heart.." I looked at him as he stood in front of me. His eyes looking like he was remembering the past events. "I can't tell if that is from the soulmate bond or just sympathy."

"How would you feel sympathy for someone you didn't know?" He nodded, agreeing with me.

"Would it be alright- Could I-" I stepped closer to him.

"Could you what Elijah? Kiss me?"He sighed, nodding. "Did Nik tell you how I slapped him?" A smirk stretched across his lips as he nods again. "So you felt safer to ask?" Again he nods.

"Please don't slap me." He whispered. I laughed and shook my head.

"I'm scared." I admitted. Elijah tilted his head, confused.

"I scare you?"

"No! Out of all the men I've been around, you are the least scary of them." Elijah raised an eyebrow at me, urging me to continue. "I just- I've never been kissed by someone who didn't have some underlying intentions... I-"

"I'm sorry. I didn't think about that."

"No- I just, I'm scared that something will come from this and I don't know if I'm ready for that..If I ever will be." I explained. Elijah grabbed my hands, playing with my fingers.

"What if I told you nothing would come from this? Just a simple exchange between two people." He asked, a slight pout scrunching his face up some as he looked up from my hands to my eyes.

"Just a simple exchange?" I repeated.

"Between two people." He nodded. I breathed out a slight laugh.

"Is that a promise you are willing to break?" I asked lowly. He smiled at me.

"I never break promises." I nodded.

"Okay.." Elijah leaned down, releasing one of my hands as his hand moved to cup my cheek gently. I stepped closer, leaning in as well as his lips brushed against mine. Tingles and something very similar to sparks moving through my lips as he pressed slightly harder to my lips. His body moving involuntarily closer, pressing slightly against my body. My hands landed on his chest as I moved my lips slowly with his. My breath caught in my throat as I felt how hard his chest was under my hands. As we pulled away, Elijah leaned his forehead against mine, both of us trying to catch our breath. Which was odd since he shouldn't need too..being a Vampire.

"It's a really good thing...that I didn't promise anything." He whispered causing a smile to stretch across my face.