Chapter XXXIV: 2011 Grocery Run-Ins

I got in the truck with Henrik, moving the canvas to behind the seats. Henrik got in and took the keys, starting the engine.

"So where to?" I asked him with a giddy grin. He looked over at me and smiled.

"You'll see." He said and we were off.

-

"Hey Frankie?" I looked over at him raising my eyebrow.

"Yeah?" He glanced at me for a second and then looked back at the road. We had been driving for a few minutes so I knew we weren't staying close to home.

"How did your mom die?" My face dropped, turning to look out the window as I thought about her. "I'm sorry- that was insensitive of me." He said quickly, trying to change the subject.

"No it's okay. She- um had lung cancer." I told him lowly. Trying not to think about the oxygen tank following her around or the outbursts of coughing from overdoing it. Henrik looked over at me, his eyes holding sympathy as he reached over and grabbed my hand.

"I'm sorry, Frankie." I nodded, wiping a stray tear from my cheek.

"It's okay- I'm used to it. Every lifetime is the same with my parents. Mom dies when I'm 14 with cancer and I die before my dad. This time of course was different." I told him. He kept silent, probably not knowing what to say now as we pulled into a parking lot. I looked up to see we were at the grocery store. "I'm going grocery shopping?" I asked looking over at him confused.

"I'm just the chauffeur." He said with a grin, nodding towards the entrance area. I looked over to see Elijah standing there with a smile. "I'll take your truck to the next destination so you have a way home, okay?" I nodded, leaning over and pressing a short kiss to his cheek.

"Thank you, Henrik." I whispered, before I could pull back though, he grabbed me and pressed a kiss to my lips.

"Anytime, sweetheart. Now go on with your adventure." I grinned and got out of the truck, practically running to Elijah.

"Elijah!" I exclaimed, hugging him to me when I got to him. His arms instantly wrapped around my waist as he looked down at me with a smile.

"Hello, Frankie. Did you enjoy breakfast?" He asked in which I nodded in return.

"I did. Did you know Nik could cook?"

"He's been practicing a lot of things in the kitchen since you left. So I'm not surprised." He said, leaning down and kissing my nose. "Here." He pulled out a small note from his suit jacket pocket handing it to me.

Now you are probably confused. I don't blame you. Why on earth would I have Henrik take you to the Grocery store? I hope it wasn't a stupid idea. You need to get some things while here for your next destination. Elijah is mostly here for company and of course to pay. I can't let my lady pay for anything. Here are some things you will need:

Which Came first?
Arguably the best type of chip out there.
Snow in a bag.
The most common flavor to use.
The fluffiest stuff in a jar.
A condensed liquid in a can.
Comes out of a Cow, but heavier.

If you have any issues, Elijah can help. The rest I already have.

I'll see you soon.

"He made it a scavenger hunt?" I asked, looking up at Elijah. He was grinning at me when I did.

"I told him it was silly." He tried but I shook my head, grabbing his hand.

"It's cute." I admitted. In my head, I couldn't believe that Nik had gone through all of this, making a silly riddle list for what seemed like a dessert. Including his brothers in his schemes. I new Henrik and Elijah were his favorites. Poor Kol and Finn don't seem involved. "Where are Kol, Finn and Rebekah?" I asked, realizing I hadn't heard from Bekah in a while.

"She went out of town for a bit. Something about needing some time away from family. I don't know if that was a hit towards us or mother." I laughed, understanding. Poor Bekah probably didn't have enough girl time in her life with five brothers. We started to push a small cart, deciding it'd be easier in case I wanted more things. "What's first on the list?"

"Eggs." I said simply. He looked at me with a smirk. "What?"

"He made it too easy, didn't he?"

"Oh yeah. I'm a baker. This list is too simple for me." I told him with a grin followed by a wink. "Although, I prefer the actual potato chip, I believe he means chocolate chips." I told him handing him the note so he could look it over.

"I told him I would help him if he wanted. But he got all defensive saying he had to do this hisself."

"You guys didn't help him plan this at all?" I asked shocked. Elijah shook his head.

"No, he said that he messed it up himself and he should fix it himself. Not that I disagree or anything. I do believe he should do more than what he's done now." My ears perked at this.

"So you know what's next?" I asked him. He nodded.

"But I'm not saying anything." He told me sternly. I laughed, nodding in understanding.

"Fine, fine." I rolled my eyes as I put a carton of eggs into the cart followed by the heavy cream. When I looked up to move towards the baking aisle, my eyes landed on the blue eyed vampire I did not ever want to see again. "Damon." I said as he looked at me.

"Frankie?" He looked shocked before his face fell into despair. His eyes snapping to see Elijah staring at him. "Uh- Hey." He waved. I nodded, moving to go around him, but he stopped me. "Can I actually talk to you?" I looked at him, trying to find a way out of it, but his eyes held regret and I was too curious for my own good.

"Go ahead."

"Alone.." I rolled my eyes, looking behind me to nod at Elijah.

"I won't be far." He said, his eyes never leaving Damon. I could tell they didn't like each other. I wonder why.

"What is it, Damon?" I asked. "I'm quite busy right now." I added. Damon sighed.

"I wanted to apologize.. I- I know it's not enough for what I did."

"What you did? You ripped my father's throat out in front of me." I snapped in a low voice, trying not to attract attention. Damon took a deep breath.

"I know. I didn't have my humanity on- which still doesn't make it right. I regret it so much, Frankie. I wanted to apologize as soon as I realized what I had done. You were my best friend when I was human and I ruined that." I stared at him. I could tell he was being honest and the pain and guilt in his eyes showed how bad he had felt.

"I'll forgive you for your sake..." I told him. "But I can't ever forget it.. I don't ever want to see you in my life, Damon." His eyes look hurt at my words, but he nodded in understanding. Before I can walk away, Elijah came around the corner, his hand wrapped around Damon's neck, lifting him off the ground and glaring at him. "Elijah!!" I exclaimed in shock.

"You were the reason that Frankie ran to St. Louis?" He seethed. Damon's eyes were wide as he tried to pry Elijah's hand off of his throat.

"Elijah. Enough." I told him sternly. He turned his head to me, confused.

"He killed your father-"

"And I forgave him. Now drop him before you cause a scene." I told him as I glanced around, thanking god that no one was nearby. Elijah dropped Damon instantly. His glare never leaving him. "Let's go, Elijah." I said, taking the cart and moving on. We finished our shopping, I even threw in some sour cream and onion chips and a frozen pizza since I wasn't paying. What? I needed to eat more than just breakfast and I didn't know what Nik had planned. Besides, Elijah just laughed at my add-ins.