Chapter Thirty One: Drake's POV (Part II)

The rest of the day at school was a big mess. Girls pulled up all sorts of tricks & plans to gain my attention and get me to ask them out for the Ball Dance. I was at the receiving end of many gifts, cards and some weird stuff as well. In short, it was one of those worst days of my life.

I was in the Computer lab with Mark. The professor had given the class to do a practical. I was typing the code for the same when I realized Mark wasn't really paying attention.

"Gabrielle & I would be going to the Ball Dance as a couple. I will officially ask her at breaktime." he whispered with a grin to my questioning look.

"That's good news man!"

"Yep. And who are you going to take along to the Dance?"

"Uh..Actually, I won't be coming for this year's Ball." I told him truthfully.

Its better I stay away from the Ball rather than being broken apart seeing Andrea with some other guy.

"What are you saying???" Mark asked in a shocking tone but then lowered his voice quickly so that the teacher doesn't notice him.

"Why aren't you coming??" he asked, still shocked.

"Well...ah! I don't have a partner." I shrugged.

Mark gave me 'are-you-kidding-me' look, "Dude, that's the whitest lie ever! 99% of the girls in school are dying to be your partner & you say you don't have one!"

I chuckled.

"Its just that I am not interested in the Ball anymore." I said.

"Say that to the Principal. The Ball Dance is compulsory for all the football players."

Oh Crap!!

***

After the period got over, Mark asked me to accompany him to the Drama class cause Gabrielle would be there. I just stood at a distance while he spoke to her. Within no time, it was quite clear Mark had successfully asked her for the Ball.

I happened to see Laura who was looking across at Mark & Gabrielle from a distance. The shadows of pain & sadness that were reflecting on Laura's face told me what exactly was going on within her. And when Mark took Gabrielle's hand & kissed it, Laura rushed out of there with a pale face & watery eyes...

I walked out of the there as well, attempting to search her. It wasn't a difficult task. I found her sitting at the bottom of an unused staircase in that part of the school where hardly anyone comes. Her back was facing me.

"Hey." I called out, getting down the fleet of stairs from above. I could make out she was rubbing her eyes dry & wearing her spectacles back.

"Mind if I sit here?" I asked as I reached down to where she was seated.

"Yeah. Don't have to ask me." she responded, keeping a normal voice.

"Well, I suppose this is the second time we're interacting?" I asked lightly.

"Yeah. We interacted while you were fixing Andy's ruined project." She gave a small smile.

"That was one hell of a job." I shuddered.

"So...why are you here?" she asked curiously.

"To see if you're okay or not cause I kind of empathize with you." I replied.

"W-What do you know?" she was unnerved.

"You've feelings for Mark. You're pained to see him with some other girl. Am I right?"