Chapter Six: Ego Wars

Chapter Six: Ego Wars!

"Okay Class, since we've been doing algebraic expressions from quite a while now, I am taking a surprise test today!"

The Maths teacher, Mrs, Hale's announcement met with a lot of shocking gasps & groans from the students but that probably didn't encourage her to change her mind.

"Oh no! I should've stayed back at home today rather than failing in this test." Laura sighed, face palming.

I heard the other students mutter in the same lines as her. I, for one, was very optimistic about the test. It wasn't that I was forewarned by the heavenly gods in my dream about this surprise test which made me practice the algebra chapter or anything, but still I was pretty confident to get through with the test.

For the record, everyone in the class thinks that Laura is a nerd just because she wears those big rectangular spectacles with black frames but let me tell you she isn't a book worm.

That being said, I looked across the classroom where the supposed nerd, Drake was seated next to my brother. Drake was impatiently flipping his pen in his fingers as though very eager to give the test.

I turned my attention to the blackboard where Mrs. Hale began writing the questions to be solved by us.  Once she was done, she faced the class & spoke,

"These are the twelve questions. You've 25 minutes in hand. No copying. As and when you're done with solving, you will come to my desk & get it corrected by me then & there. Begin!"

I scanned through the questions. The first six of them were easy so I quickly solved them in my sheet. When I came to the seventh problem, well...ah! Not wanting to sound a cry baby or anything, but the rest of the questions looked very difficult.  I tried to figure them out but nothing extra-ordinary knocked the doors of my brain. I looked at Laura through the corner of my eye. Her face was scrunched in concentration & she was staring at her sheet as if it will magically bless her with correct answers.

I turned my attention back to my sheet, my eyes digging into the unanswered questions in front of me. After a while of thinking like the world's safety is in my hands, I did manage to crack four more questions. That's another thing that I wasn't sure whether I got them correct or not. I casually glanced around the classroom & saw a guy who sat behind Mark scratching his head in confusion as if hoping that a world renowned Mathematician would rush to his aid. I saw him trying to peek into my brother's sheet but the teacher caught him doing that,

"Jake Wood!" Mrs Hale called sharply, "If one more time I see you looking everywhere else other than your paper, you will be walking straight out of class."

Jake mumbled apologies & dug his face into his sheet. Sigh!

I too looked back into my own sheet.

Two more questions! Think Andy Think!

Only 10 minutes left for time to be up.

I glanced around the classroom again when I couldn't find a way to solve the remaining problems. That seemed to be the case with everyone else——except Drake. He was only person in the only class who was writing on the paper!

HOW CAN he solve such difficult questions???HOW???And if he is able to solve, then even I definitely HAVE TO!!!

I turned back to my sheet, the two tough questions mocking  at me.

Think Brain Think, I urged the system inside my skull so much so that I could almost hear my brain cells groaning in pain.

Accept it Andy! You are not as great as Drake, I heard the voice in my head say that.