Chapter Nine: The Deal

It was very surprising for me to see Daniel walk in the classroom for Journalism period, that day in school. He looked around, apparently to spot any known face & broke into a smile when he spotted me.

"May I?" he asked politely, referring to the empty seat next to me.

"Yeah sure!" I said, greeting him, "You are in Arts class, right?"

"I was in Arts class." he replied, plopping down on the seat, "I proved to myself completely that I can get worse & worst in painting. The professor recommended me to take Journo, so here I am!"

I chuckled at that. Just then the teacher Mrs Flores walked in. After explaining & giving us notes on a particular topic, she touched upon our next assignment.

"So we will henceforth be doing some practical work. For your next project, you have to interview your friends or other students who have excelled in a particular subject or sport. You can even interview professors if you want. So frame interesting questions, try & get interesting answers. You can even shoot a video of the interview if you want. Be as creative as you can."

"Whoa! That sounds cool!" I heard Daniel exclaim. There were similar murmurs in the class. 

Mrs Flores spoke again, "If any of you have decided whom you will interview, you can submit the names."

A girl raised her hand, "Drake Spencer about Football." she said out loud.

"No! I will be interviewing Drake about Mathematics!!!" another girl protested from the back of the class.

"Never! I will take his interview!!" a third girl affirmed.

And soon enough, almost every girl (except me, ofcourse) joined the catfight over interviewing Drake. Mrs Flores was so shocked at the hullaballoo that she couldn't react for a couple of seconds. Jeez!

"That's crazy man!" Daniel exclaimed, amused.

I sat back & enjoyed the catfight which was entertaining for anyone who would watch. I already decided to interview Mark about Computer Science.

"Stop it girls!!!!" Mrs Flores screeched loudly & earned a pin-drop silence in return, "This is a classroom. You are expected to maintain discipline." 

The teacher said sternly. She looked very angry & irritated by all this chaos. Can't blame her really.

"Andrea Wilson." Mrs Flores suddenly fixed her gaze upon me.

"Yes Professor." I replied, startled.

"You're interviewing Drake Spencer, that's final." she said decisively.

I'm sure my eyebrows disappeared out of shock hearing that. I also heard shocking exclaims from the girls who were arguing. 

"But Professor, I don't want to interview him!" I said in defense, terribly blown by the unexpected turn of events.

"That's exactly the reason why I want you to interview him. You seem sensible." the teacher said.

"But I don't----"

"No arguments. Ms Wilson." she interrupted me.

I slumped back into my seat. I better not stretch this further as Mrs Flores could blow up any second.  I spent the next couple of moments cursing my fate. This is called inviting troubles without doing anything wrong. Sigh!

And yeah, those girls were staring at me with pure hatred. God help the world.

"Hey! I'm sure it won't be that bad. Drake will co-operate." Daniel assured me after the class.