21. Live for Yourself...

Selene sat at the edge of her favorite spot by the river. She needed time alone to collect her thoughts. She'd wondered how to explain things to Erebus.
Her strength would affect him slowly everyday, their mate bond would inspire other changes in him even without them being entirely united. She did not know what the changes would look like but it was bound to happen. She felt the bond's occasional surge of power. She did everything in her power to avoid sealing the mating process. She exhausted every means to avoiding him whenever he got too intimate with her. Distance was the only tangible remedy for now.

Another thing weighed on her shoulders, she slowly felt the presence of Eachann's prison breaking. She had time but still had pondered on what to do. Selene resolved herself to making a place safe for her son and Erebus but still had to take care of the council, how to lock away Eachann again, and restore the mating system. She didn't want to think of the mating system for now, that heartache would need to come at another time.

Selene sighed. "I miss you, sibling," she whispered into the wind.

She hadn't contacted anyone since she first descended to earth. Selene was now apart of Earth's disputes and not of her the domain of any other guardian in order for them to intervene. Her siblings was cut off from her until her power returned.

"How did the mating system become broken?" she pondered. The system wasn't something anyone but her could interfere with, Eachann had no strength to do so. Only another guardian could tamper with it. She wondered if she'd made an error somewhere. She sighed again.

"I have an idea of what I must do, but my hesitation lies in whether I want to do it," she spoke to herself.

"I fear I may have cost my children a destiny to suffer because of my moment of weakness towards these beings of our Mother," she said.

She swayed with the soft wind. The evening sky of oranges and blues warmed her heart. She'd forgotten what being on the other side of the moon's reflection looked like. Her home stood patiently in the sky, waiting for her to return. She stretched a hand out, imagining the feel of her hands in the silver tree's leaves. Oh, to be home again, her heart echoed.

"So you do want to go back," a voice said. She turned quickly to see a saddened Erebus. His white shirt button low showing his firm chest and hand tucked lazing into his trousers pockets. Selene lowered her head.

"I do not know how to answer that without hurting you," she told him. He held out a hand and she accepted.

"Its okay to tell me what's bothering you Selene. I'm your mate. I know you think this is a mistake," he said gesturing between the both of them. Her heart clenched.

"But I care about you regardless. You are mine to love one day regardless. Please, don't shut me out," he pleaded. He held her chin tenderly and pulled her close.

"I have been avoiding thinking of what I must do. I can feel it but.-"

"You're afraid," he finished for her. Selene nodded.

"I sacrificed so much the first time on this earth. I do not wish to sacrifice anymore especially... especially knowing how much in a moment everything has come to mean to me," she spoke painfully.

In the time she'd been on Earth this time, there was pain, suffering. But in truth, they meant nothing to her compared to the past. What ached her was the sight of the brightness the people she met gave to her. Kila, a being who doesn't need guidance and things done or decided for her. She was a marvel compared to the people she once ruled over. Garrett, a being hardworking and priortizes others. Does anything to help someone and doesn't treat you any different regardless of who you are, runt or goddess meant little to him once he trusted your character.
Selene looked up at Erebus. She stretched a hand to his cheek. Relishing in his warmth.