47. Double Marking...

"Kila, if I don't-."

"We're not talking about this again," Kila cut off Garrett.

"We have to," he said.
She sighed. She didn't like thinking of the what if's not in this situation at least.

"If I don't make it. You have to promise me that you won't do anything stupid," he told her.

"Stupid like what?"

"Don't blame the world for the fact that I'm gone."

"Fine," she grumbled and leaned against the bedroom door where Dane rested.

"No pushing everyone away," he said.

"Fine."

"No trying to get Selene to revive me either. Don't put that weight on her."

She didn't answer but nodded stiffly. They had thought of it, of course they did quickly said it wasn't an option but grief drove anyone to do just about anything regardless of the consequences.

The two knew there were more risks than they let on, especially for Garrett. The mate bond only kicked in after two weeks of being around Dane. It told them that his bond was the unstable one. The one that wasn't supposed to happen, but they accepted it nonetheless. They all belonged together, accident or not and they would go ahead with the marking to show that, no matter the outcome.

"Ready?" asked Kila. Garrett nodded and she opened the door.
Their chest both sank every time they laid eyes on him. He had no pulse even a shifter's ear could pick up but they knew he was alive. Sort of...

The two held each other's hand as the climbed onto to opposite side of the bed. Kila caressed Dane's cheek and Garrett let out a long sigh.

Each sibling claimed a side of their mate's neck and bit down hard. They felt Dane shift, grunt and growled. He grabbed the both of their necks and wrenched them off.

"What the hell are you two doing!?" They looked at him with watering eyes.

"You're..." Kila whispered.

"Awake..." Garrett huffed.

"Finally you dumbass." They said together and dropped unconscious.

□ □ □ □

Dane held his neck and winced. Why would they-.

His sense returned. Panic flooded through him.

"No! What the hell were the two of you thinking?" he yelled. He pulled Garrett up on the bed and fixed him next to him, same with Kila. he sighed, he knew what he had to do. he swallowed dryly and marked his mates one at a time. Two weeks of absolute pain and sufffering awaited them. They were beyond just your typical unusual case, they were unstable. A mistake. he sighed again. But thwy were the best and craziest mistake a man could be blessed with. he hoped that this blessing was a permanent one.

Dane hated the idea of having a mate. He'd spent his eternal life rejecting every single one before he ever knew their names. Seeing what his siblings went through scarred him permanently. The one time he chose to accept one they died in his arms cursing at his imortality. He swore off mates and buried himself in a life of sex and non-chalance. but these two with their odd taste in relationships and strange personalites infected their way into his life and  now he is here, cuddled between two chilling bodies on the brink of death and immortality. What would he do other than wait for them to wake again.

"Please wake up. I'm not strong enough to lose either of you. Not when we just started getting to..."

□ □ □ □

"Why did you have to be one of them?" she asked him.

Tears poured down his face. His usual snarky composure gone. He shook his head roughly. Her body was cold but she spoke such bitter words.

"I wanted to love you, be with you forever. But it won't let me."
He banged his head into the wall, desperate for the voice to stop berating him.

"Why did you have to be an immortal... why did I have to end like this because you were born a monster?"

He screamed, bleeding forehead and fists did nothing to him. He kept his eyes on the wall and kept hitting. Why did he have to lose her? The one time he took the chance to love, he lost it. No, he killed it. He killed her. He didn't want to kill the ones he love. He would never allow this to happen again. Never would he take the life of a lover again. Never would he love again. Never...

Kila woke up in the arms of Dane cradling her to his chest. He was asleep but held onto her tightly. She inhaled and her chest burned. Her eyes registered her surroundings and burned. She shifted but her limbs gave out easily. What was happening?

"Hey, don't move. You're not used to your body yet. It will take time for you to move again. You were practically born again." She heard Dane's voice and relaxed.

"Rest, one nap without dying and you'll be functioning again," he said. She didn't respond, just faded to sleep in seconds. They did it. They got Dane back and they were mated. They'd be together forever.

If only he could tell her...
Dane turned and looked at Garrett's cold body next to him. His head stiffly rested on his lap. Was he dead or still in transition? He didn't know. But it wasn't good. If Kila woke up and he still hadn't... He wouldn't allow the thought.

"You better not be dead. Kila will kill herself everyday for the rest of eternity if you do. Don't leave us," he said hoarsely.

He looked back at Kila. What will he say to her? This was his fault. He sighed. He listened to hear his heart beat once again but, nothing...