My Saving Grace

Zander stretches his hands and rubs his wrists, "damn those chains hut."

The rest of the room still with shock. Felix is lying close to David, his power drained him. David is holding him staring at Zander. Mary cluthes my hand tight and is scooted up to where her body is in line with my head. Mom looks like she has seen a ghost.

I, we'll I feel better. My headache is gone, it's like a weight has been lifted off my mind.

Zander smiles and stalkes toward me. He reaches out and strokes the side of my face, smirks, and says, "ah my saving grace, thank you for letting me out."

I snatch my head away as Mary growls. "I didn't mean to, you tricked me." I spat out at him.

"Ah my sweet Tessa, of course you let me out. After all you know me well enough," he smiles and steps back.

"The only thing I know about you is your name," I stare into his eyes, "why the hell would I know someone like you?"

His smile turned into a frown, his eyes almost look sad, "you don't remember me?"

"No. I don't. I'm not even sure if I want to yet." I watch him look at me for a long while.

He steps back and sighs, "well. I best be off then." He glares at mom, "good to see you again Millie." Walking toward the door, he flicks his wrist with two fingers and the door swings open. He stops at the door and turns his head to the side, "I'll see you around." He closes the door and is gone.

I speak next, "Felix are you ok?"

He sniffs slightly, "yeah, I'm fine. I'm just tired. You my dear have a very strong mind."

I laugh, "thank you I guess."

He nods in amusement.

David looks down to him, "hold on has that ever happened before? Someone coming out of a projection you give?"

"No," Felix said, "but I have never been inside a mind as strong as Tessa's"

"My brain didn't hurt you did It?" I ask worried for his safety.

"No, no, I'll be fine. This has happened, the being drained after a session. I'll get over it in a few hours." He smiled and patted David's arm for reassurance. "But Tessa, I do have some questions for you."

"Anything, go ahead, you earned it," I laughed and he smiled.

"God it takes a lot to earn stuff here."

"Before you start," mom cut in, "I need to go home. We can deal with this in the morning. I think we all need some good sleep." She kissed the top of my head and left .

"First question?"

"Yes. Do you know Zander?"

"If I do, I don't remember. I'm not even sure why I dreamt, or should I say nightmared about him."

"He sure seemed to know you. He also seemed to know Ms. Millie."

"We can all ask her about that tomorrow. Next question?"

"When he said gift of the mind, what did he mean?"

At this Mary's eyes flashed a brighter gold, and she growled a bit. I never knew she cared this much about my personal feelings and safety. It's kind of nice having someone like that.

Felix looks slightly frightened, so I put my hand on Mary's shoulder, "its ok, I think I trust him. Plus after being in my head, I plan to keep in touch."

David was silently watching, not wanting to interfere, and drawing small circles on Felix's arm and back.

"Well, my gift is one to do with minds yes. When I read, I absorb the gift of the main character. The only thing is I have little control over that gift. And it seems to also play on my emotional state at times. Comments?"

"That's wicked cool Tessa." He smiles.

David frowns some, and Mary just sends him a glance of warning.

"What?," he said, "did I say something wrong? I thought that was considered a complement?"

I tear leaks out my eye, "you're fine Felix, it's just you don't know what my gift has done to others. Mary and David know, but if you care to enter my brain really quick I can show you."

"I will, it won't drain me if I'm just viewing, not projecting."he gets up and uses his knees to walk to the couch.

I lean down, "it's all yours."

He nods and places his hands around my head. I show him the images of my parents dying because of my talent, how I grew up with Millie, how I try not to use my gift in fear of hurting those I love. I feel the tears fall out of my eyes as I think this.

He gasps slightly and moves his hands away, tears like mine mimic on his face. He wipes them up and quietly says, "I'm sorry my dear Tessa. That was painful to feel but thank you for sharing it with me."

He kneel-walks back to David and sits next to him.

I smile, and wipe my face quickly, "it's fine really. I can usually not cry, but feeling it again brings me to tears."

"I'm sorry, if it makes you feel better, I lost my parents too. Or well they lost each other."

"What do you mean?"

"Well sharing feelings and dreams can be a wonderful feeling for us. They decided to try to do it at the same time on each other. Once they did it, no one could get them to come out of it. We have to be the ones to move our hands away, nobody can do it for us. If they try, is like trying to unstick gorilla glue." We all laugh at the joke. "They stayed like that for all These years, until they just finally passed away two years ago."

We all mumbled an I'm sorry and Mary spoke next, "well this one time I was in the park. I was watching the birds and chasing them when I fell into the fountain. The ducks all quaked around me and I had poop all over me. It was a disaster."

We all laughed and Mary said again, "what?! I thought we were telling sad stories?"

That night we all slept on the sofa, after marathoning our favorite shows, aka superwholock.