Chapter 10

"I want you to look after yourself, keep popping up on Skype, and behave yourself," the Sheriff warned gripping his shoulders with his hands and giving him a small smile.

"I will! It's me, I'll be fine, like I always am," Stiles said with a confident smile hugging him one last time before looking over his shoulder at Derek packing their things into the car. "Thanks for you know, being cool with Derek. It's been a really good week, dad, I missed spending time with you like this."

"He may be a supernatural creature, knocked up my one and only son, but he's there for you, not a lot of fathers would do that, Stiles. He's...a good man."

Stiles bit his lip and bobbed his head in agreement before stepping back. "We better go, I'll call you when we get back."

Derek was ready and waiting in the car when he got in and sighed deeply after buckling up.

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I just – I just hate leaving him. He's all alone and I know he has his job, he says he likes having the space and coming home to his own dinner and bed but...I don't know...it's like he's keeping something from me, like he's alone but he doesn't want to tell me, he doesn't want to make me feel bad for leaving him."

"Stiles, your dad is a grown man," Derek explained as he drove the car out of the street and heading out of Beacon Hills. "I'm sure he can look after himself."

"That's not the point, I know he can, Derek, he's my dad I know him, I know him better than anyone and I know when something is up. I hate leaving him," Stiles protested glancing over at him.

"You're like him, Stiles, no matter what happens you're okay and so is he. You had to leave him one day and it's hard leaving him every time but it's just like when you left for college. You know I'm right."

Stiles gave him a sidelong glance but sat back with a nod. Derek looked satisfied by that and sped the car a little faster as they got out of there. He was content to lie back and watch the passing buildings and landscape feeling the warm summer wind blow on his face. He was grateful to finally get back despite the week he had. It had been a good week, he got to spend time with his dad, and also got to sleep in the same bed with Derek. It had been awkward at first but throughout the week he often found himself waking up sprawled across Derek literally or wrapped in warm arms, lips pressed against his neck and shoulder, and feeling comforted.

He honestly didn't know what he was missing and now they were returning back to the apartment, two separate beds, and Stiles knew a part of him was going to miss it. He was lost in his thoughts that he missed most of the journey and jerked when the familiar sights of Berkeley started to come into view.

"Are you okay?" Derek questioned looking him up and down slowly.

Stiles shifted nodding and sitting up. "Yeah just lost in thought. I didn't get to say goodbye to Scott either! He's like a lost puppy these days and he and Isaac are still not speaking, not really, it was so awkward when I met them both. I really think they have repressed feelings and don't want to do anything about them and it's making things...awkward."

Stiles finished biting his lip and looking out of the side window whilst Derek also looked a little uncomfortable, his eyes narrowed, and his hands tightening on the wheel. Silence filled the space between them and Stiles was anxious to get out of the car.

It didn't take long to arrive at the apartment and Stiles stepped out breathing in the fresh air letting it swirl through his lungs before exhaling. The anxious knot in his stomach hadn't loosened and he gave Derek a sidelong glance when he got out their bags and led him towards the main doors.