Chapter 16

Stiles knew he was dreaming. The smell of damp earth and ash hung heavy in the air filling his scent. He'd question it if it wasn't for Lila quiet in his arms, her smell also overwhelmed him when he pressed his back into the tree. There was a growling in the distance, his heart spiking and beating faster at the sound when he turned running into the darkness. He ran till his chest felt like it was about to explode and a hand caught him.

Claws pricked his back and into his stomach when Peter dragged him against his chest turning him into a new direction.

"Do you see it?" he whispered pointing the hand out and Stiles sucked in a sharp breath at the column of fire in the distance. Lila whimpered against his shoulder and he shushed her gently unable to take his eyes away from the roaring fire in the distance. It was burning something he couldn't recognise.

"It's my gift to you," Peter whispered in his ear, his claws tightening on his throat for a long moment before he removed them and shoved him to the ground. Stiles closed his eyes for impact only to wake up with a jolt staring at the ceiling. The bedroom was complete dark. He sucked in a breath his hands travelling down to the bump and closing his eyes in relief feeling it.

His eyes travelled to the alarm clock telling him it was half past seven. He could faintly see Derek was stretched out on his back sleeping deeply unaware of his nightmare. The nightmares he had been having for the past week since they had moved in. It was pretty easy to shrug them off, call them bad dreams, and plead with Derek not to worry. Stiles didn't like lying to him, that wasn't easy, and he hated the worried look in Derek's eyes when he thought he wasn't looking.

The house had been unpacked, they had shopped for food, and it didn't feel too weird anymore. Stiles was in love with their house. It was exactly what they needed and Stiles felt better knowing that Peter didn't know where they were. The only people who knew was the pack, his dad, and Scott and Isaac. He prayed Peter didn't get to the pack but he knew they could protect themselves, they were strong, clever, and he knew all three of them would kill Peter if he emerged from his hiding place.

His hand stroked over his bump when he sat up. He was edging closer and closer to his last few weeks of pregnancy. Christmas was right around the corner really and he swallowed shuffling to the side of the bed and getting out. Stiles looked over his shoulder to see Derek snuffle in his sleep with a frown on his face before settling. He swallowed tugging on his hoodie walking downstairs to turn on the heating and walk into the kitchen.

He cooked sausages for breakfast despite the early hour but his dreams were leaving him shaken and irritable. His eyes burned from lack of sleep and he sighed deeply tossing the sausages over and over again before they were cooked. He was lost in his own world when he turned jumping out of his skin, swearing loudly, and glaring at Derek watching him.

"You're up early," Derek commented nodding his head at him.

"I couldn't sleep, she's awake," he murmured rubbing the spot were Lila had kicked him hard in response to his fright.

"You have bags underneath your eyes and you look exhausted."

"I'm fine, Derek, trust me," he muttered eyeing him closely when he walked towards him with concern shining in his eyes.

"You smell of anxiety," he murmured stroking the back of his head. "Why?"

"You scared the shit out of me!"

"I didn't mean to, I woke up and you were gone."

"How did you miss me?"

"Your warmth, her heartbeat mixed with yours, I just knew and I didn't like it," Derek explained softly. "You look tired, Stiles, you need more sleep."