2) Fingers crossed

The rest of the journey flew by. Harry, Ron and Hermione made good company, sharing sweets and laughing. They made me feel included and I was already picturing our future here together.
The train eventually came to a slow halt, with impatient students already queuing to get off. We decided to wait a while to avoid getting pushed in the crowd.

"Now we ride up to the castle on these carriages - they're pulled by Thestrals you know." Hermione explained as we walked towards an opening in the trees. And there they were, skeletal horse-like creatures.
Much to our luck, the carriage ahead was still empty.

"Move out of my way, Potter. Didn't mummy ever teach you any manners?" A platinum haired boy spat as he pushed Harry aside.
His group of friends followed, stepping up onto our carriage. We probably would have all fit if they hadn't spread out along the seats.

"Oh shove off Malfoy" Ron called after him as the carriage began to pull away.

I looked up at him - Malfoy, his cold grey eyes staring back at me. A smirk plastered firmly on his face as he and his gang were transported away. Despite his rudeness, I couldn't help but notice how gorgeous he was.

"That's why you don't want to be in Slytherin" Ron said, looking disgusted.

"Who was he?"

"That's Malfoy - Draco Malfoy. He's Rich, he's a Pureblood, and of course he's in Slytherin. Thinks he's better than everyone. I'd avoid him if I were you" Harry advised, nodding towards another empty carriage "Here, let's go"

"Wait a minute. Aren't you more interested in that fact that he's Harry Potter" Ron stated in disbelief.

Harry Potter? The boy who lived.
I eyed his forehead for the rumoured lightning scar, but his hair blocked my view.

"Oh? wow...it didn't even click" I said genuinely surprised.
But to answer Ron's question, no - I was more interested in the blonde, the look on his face still firm in my mind.

Entering the castle, I was in awe.
"This is a school? It's huge! I'm going to get lost for sure"

"You get used to it" Harry smiled.

"There's McGonagall" Ron interrupted, looking over towards another huge door.

"Ah, she's our head of house. We've got to get seated but you can go see her. I'm sure she knows where you need to go."

"Thanks Harry" I smile, feeling the anxiety build, knowing I'm about to be left alone.

"We'll see you around Aurelia. Maybe even at the Gryffindor table" Hermione smiled, nudging my arm.

"Bye Guys" I laugh gently watching them leave.

McGonagall had been expecting me, and asked me to wait by her side until she had collected each of the first years. Only then would she lead us to the front of the Great Hall to be sorted into houses.

Being a fifth year I had to wait until last to be sorted.
When it was my turn, I sat in front of the entire school and felt the weight of the musty old hat placed on my head.

"Hmmmm, interesting. They become much easier to sort with age" the hat thought aloud.

Gryffindor
Put me in Gryffindor.
Or anything but Slytherin.
Anything but Slytherin.
Not Slytherin

I crossed my fingers. Willing for the hat to hurry up.

"You know, I hear your thoughts girl. But that's not what I'm sensing."

"I've never been wrong before..."

"SLYTHERIN"

No no no no

My heart dropped. My eyes searched the Gryffindor table, looking for my new friends. There they were. Shrugging. They seemed disappointed. Like they'd misjudged me. It made me feel sick.

With the hat removed from my head, I got up and walked towards my house. No one moved, allowing me to sit. I had to walk halfway down the room to find an empty spot.
My eyes darted up and down the table. Scanning faces, looking for a smile, something welcoming - anything, when they locked with a familiar blonde boy further down the table.
Malfoy.
Still smirking.