15) Draught of Living Dreath

Malfoy kept his word for exactly three days.
Whenever we were all together at mealtimes or in the common room he would completely ignore me. He practically refused to acknowledge my existence.
With both Theo and Malfoy ignoring me, it created a very awkward atmosphere and Blaise found this new tension very hard to understand. I dread to think of the conversations they have in their dorm...or lack of.

Draco began to spend a lot more time away from us lot, instead choosing to hang around with Crabbe and Goyle. According to Pansy, they used to be a lot closer. As Purebloods their families had been close for years.

It was on Tuesday that Draco eventually spoke to me.
But then again it was hard not to when we had been partnered in Potions.

This time, when I'd showed up for class with Daphne, he was nowhere to be seen.
I sat at our desk, getting parchment and ink prepared for note taking.
As the beginning of lesson quickly approached, I was becoming more and more convinced that he wouldn't show up.
It's not like he'd get in trouble for it.
Snape seemed to have a soft spot for Draco, always looking the other way when he bullied students from other houses or forgot to bring his homework in.

"Greenwood" Draco mumbled a greeting sulkily as he appeared from behind me.

"Malfoy"

And that's as far as our conversation went.

Draco sat next to me, pulling his stood as far away from me as possible. Although we were still too close for my liking.

"Afternoon sixth year" Snape sneered reducing the small chatter to silence.

Thankfully we were not working on the Veritaserum this lesson. It was busy maturing and we had nothing further to add to the mixture.
Instead we were doing individual work, making a Draught of Living death.
However this did not men that I could avoid Malfoy completely. Snape had given each table a measure of the ingredients needed - but we still had to share them between us.

I tried to avoid Draco, giving him the silent treatment the best I could.
Draco clearly wasn't very impressed with the lesson. He had to actually do some work, and whilst I was ignoring him, he had no one to mess with.
So to get my attention he subtly started moving all of the ingredients to his side of the table, past his cauldron.
I didn't notice at first, he was quite sneaky. Measuring out what he needed and setting it down on the wrong side of the table.

For as long as possible, I worked with what he hadn't stolen, but that was over almost instantly.
I sat awkwardly for a moment, working out how to get my ingredients without having to talk to Malfoy.
There was none.

"Malfoy"

"Yes?" I could almost hear his smirk.

"Stop it"

"Stop what Greenwood?"

"You know what"

"I'm not a mind reader Greenwood - Oh wait, yes I am" He taunted "if you would like something you're just going to have to ask nicely."

"For fucks sake just give them to me" I whisper aggressively.

"Not with an attitude like that"

"Can I have the Asphodel?"

"Manners? Say please"

"No" I scoff

"Forget it then" his grey eyes search my face for a reaction as he smiles, fake sickly sweet.

I groan

"Can I have the Asphodel Please"

"Good girl" he reaches for the small vial and places it back between us on the table.
Without further delay I grab it and begin to measure out the right amount.

"No Thank you? You know, you're quite rude Greenwood"

I ignore him.

"You don't need that much" he continued, nodding at my scales, but still I don't listen.

And all of a sudden Malfoy's attitude snapped, his annoying taunts replaced with a stormy, aggressive look.

"I'm talking to you. Maybe Nott wouldn't have gotten bored of you so quickly if you were more polite. Entitled little Mudblood" he spat.

Mudblood. That word alone enraged me.

"You know what Malfoy-" I raise my voice shooting daggers into his infuriating stone grey eyes.

"What" He interrupted, letting out a heated laugh at my retaliation.

"Greenwood" Snape raised his loud, yet emotionless voice in my direction. I froze.

Professor Snape's eyes flickered to Draco
"and you Mr Malfoy"

"Yes Professor?" Draco replied innocently, smiling slightly as though he had nothing to worry about.

"Detention"

"But Professor-" Draco blurted, clearly about to talk his way out of it.

"I don't want to hear it. I do not tolerate petty arguments in my classes. You will both return here immediately after dinner. Am I understood?"

"Yes" we both mumble in response, avoiding eye contact.

"Now get back to work - and I don't want to hear another work out of either of you" Snape snarled, leaving to patrol the rest of the classroom.

"This is all your fault Greenwood" Draco hissed quietly. He actually looked quite flustered. "Snape never gives me detention. Never"

"Well looks like he does now. Better start behaving" I grumble, glad Malfoy had been punished. Although it did mean that I would have to spend my evening with my two least favourite people in the school. Well, Theo's probably worse than Malfoy right now. But still.