Detention

Later that evening, Malfoy and I sat in detention with Professor Snape.
So far, 15 minutes had passed and had felt like an eternity.
I wished I knew how long Snape planned on keeping us.
It was painfully silent, the only noise a distant dripping - we were in the dungeons of an ancient castle after all.

At the front of the class, Snape worked, sifting through parchments. Probably grading homework.
Snape is well known for loading students with an impossible amount of homework.

I was sat in my usual seat fighting the urge to fidget.
Draco had chosen to sit on the empty table next to ours so he didn't have to be any closer to me than necessary. He lounged sulkily. Draco Malfoy wasn't used to getting detentions. He normally got away with his bad behaviour because the teachers were intimidated by his dad.
We faced each other but neither of us really looked at the other.
We sat bored, looking miserable.

Of course we hadn't been given anything to do. Professor Snape would rather our detention drag.

At least another 10 minutes passed...

I wanted to rest my head on the table and shut my eyes but decided against it. I knew Snape would probably demand that I sit upright the moment he realises I'm getting comfortable.

Look at him. Does he ever wipe that depressing look off his face? I don't think I've ever seen him smile. Ever

I jumped slightly in my chair, praying I hadn't made enough noise to attract Snape's attention.
Draco was staring over at me, his head resting on an arm he had propped up on the table, a small smirk on his face.

Stop it. Go away

Oh come on. Surely you'd rather talk to me than just sit there? This is dragging.

No - I mean, what if Snape catches us? Theo said you could get expelled.

And how Snape ever know?

Well...maybe he could do it on you. Maybe he's listening to us right now?

No. He's not. I would be able to tell.

Whatever. Just stop, he'll probably wonder why we're staring at each other.

No I don't think so. He's probably used to seeing girls stare at me.

Malfoy's lip curled into a smile as he winked at me.

I felt myself blush, desperately trying not to think about it. I didn't want him to read my mind. I did find Draco attractive. Very attractive. He was probably one of the best looking boys in the entire school, but I'd rather die than let him know that. 

His smile intensified.

Just when I began to wonder if he'd read my thoughts, there was a sharp knock on the door piercing the silence.

The door creaked open to reveal a slightly worried looking Professor McGonagall.

"Severus" she caught sight of Draco and I "oh dear I'm sorry to interrupt but Albus requires us to meet with him at once"

Snape appeared alerted, but quickly concealed his emotion with a straight face.

"Very well" he stood with haste "You two. Stay here until I return. This matter does not excuse you - and no talking"

We listened as both Professors left and hurried down the corridor. 

"What was that all about?" I whisper to Draco feeling quite worried myself.

He shrugged. He didn't seem concerned at all.

"Haven't you heard? There's talk that 'you know who's' returned" he replied in a voice implying I should be afraid.

"Yeah whatever" I wasn't going to let him scare me. But I had heard. Lots of people had been whispering about the dark lord returning and there had been more and more articles about him popping up in the daily prophet.

"Do you think he's back?" I found myself asking.

Draco shifted in his seat.

"Why don't you go ask scarface? He would know. Apparently he has these weird dreams about it"

Weird dreams? Poor Harry. I really felt for him. It must be so hard to know that your parents murderer could still be out there. And with all the rumours no wonder he was having nightmares.

Poor baby Potter. Must be so hard being a celebrity. Famous for doing nothing.

"Please Malfoy. Just stay out of my head"

He looked at me in surprise, obviously he'd been expecting an insult but I couldn't be bothered to argue anymore.
Especially not when we were stuck together.

"How do you even know how to do that anyway?" I wanted to change the conversation. Distract myself from the idea of you know who.

"What? Legillimens? You'll never be able to do it" he eyed me suspiciously. I suppose it was one of the first times I'd attempted to actually talk to him.

"Yes I know. So how can you do it? If it's so difficult?"

"Is there anything I can't do?" He joked

"No but seriously."

"My father paid someone to teach me" he admitted simply.

"Oh, why?"

"Because it's something all good wizards can do"

"Ok. Well anyway, could you stop doing it to me?"

Draco looked at me. Could he really be considering it?

"Please?" I added, knowing his reply would probably include another lesson on my manners. This made him smirk.

"I'll think about it"

"Ok..thanks"

"Not promising anything" he smiled, a proper smile as he flicked his hair out of his eyes.
He looked incredible, and I couldn't help but smile back.

The door flew open, and we both snapped back into character to appear as though we'd never spoken. But it wasn't Professor Snape.

"Goyle?" Draco questioned.

"Alright mate?" Goyle smiled. He looked lost. Like he'd forgotten what he'd come here for.

"Oh! Errr, Snape says you two can go. But they want to talk to you Draco- well Dumbledore does"

Draco glanced at me, it almost seemed like he wished I hadn't heard that. As though he had something to hide.

"Better get going then" he announced cooly, scraping his stood back and standing.

"Later Greenwood"

For a moment we shared one last look, before he followed Goyle out of the door and only I remained.

What would Dumbledore want with Draco?