9) Potions

"So you two kissed!" Daphne squealed, sharing a mischievous smile with Pansy.

'Shhh!" I urged.

We were walking past the dungeons to potions class, Pansy leading the way. The boys followed a few feet behind and I did not want them to overhear us gossiping about them.

"Didn't I say he'd be all over you!" Daphne giggles "and that he's an insane kisser. Right Rey?"

Pansy stopped outside a classroom indicating that we had arrived, allowing the boys to gradually catch up with us.

"You're not wrong" I admit with a dimpled smile "now shut up about it!" I plead, glancing at Theo who was now stood next to me.

"Shut up about what?" He investigates as students began to filter into the class.

"We're going in" Pansy hastily changes the subject, giving me a subtle wink.

Thanks Pansy

We follow the rest of the class into the room and I watch as they return into last years seats. Daphne sat with Theo. Pansy with Blaise.

"Quickly please students. I intend to begin shortly." The greasy haired professor bellowed, unimpressed.

I sat down at the nearest table, not looking to get into trouble in my first potions class.

"You girl" Snape spoke, looking dead in my eye.

"Yes professor?"

"Introduce yourself. Your name?"

"Aurelia Greenwood Sir"

He nods at me, distracted by a hateful looking Malfoy who was lingering next to Blaise, whispering something inaudible.

"Mr Malfoy" The Professor cut in "It seems Mr Zabini has chosen to partner with Miss Parkinson this term. Do not waste my time. Find a new partner - in fact, you can accompany Miss Greenwood"

"But Professor-"

"This is not up for discussion. Sit down" Snape sneers.

Accepting defeat, Malfoy obeys, dragging his chair out loudly as he sits, slamming his brand new copy of "Magical Drafts & Potions" onto the table.

"On my desk I have prepared a few potions. These are the types of things you will be expected to know how to make when you take your N.E.W.T.s. Today, you will attempt to brew Veritaserum. Is anyone able to tell me Veritaserum's effect on the drinker?" Snape drones on. His voice monotone.

  "It forces the drinker to speak the truth Professor" One of my classmates offer.

"Correct. A truth potion, so powerful that three drops alone will have you spilling your innermost secrets. This is an advanced potion. If brewed correctly, it should appear clear and odourless. It will take roughy one month to mature. I expect you and your partner to work together, following from your textbooks. Off you go"

With that, students all around the room began chatting in a light whisper. Flicking through pages of their books and getting up to gather ingredients.

I did the same, rifling through my book to find the correct page. Malfoy did not move, rocking back on his chair and scowling over at Blaise. I roll my eyes.

Guess I'm doing this alone.

Once I've figured out what Ingredients we need, I get up to collect them. Returning with my hands full and arranging objects on the table.

"Ah, didn't need my help this time, Greenwood?" Malfoy mocked, shaking his head in attempt to move the hair out of his eyes.

"I managed" I reply bluntly, inspecting the book for the first step.

"You even found the Jobberknoll feathers"

"Yep"

"You know, you're lucky having me as your partner" Draco boasts.

"You're kidding right?" I scoff, mixing together two ingredients creating violet fumes.

Shit. That wasn't supposed to happen.

"Im deadly serious" he gazes at me, unbothered.

I desperately try to rectify my mistake, getting flustered under Draco's observation.

"And why is that then?" I ask, bothered by his arrogance.

Draco smiles, cocking his head "Because I'm a skilled Wizard. All this shit's easy. You'll probably get O's in Potions thanks to me"

"Impossible. You'd actually have to do some work"

"I like watching you panic. It's amusing"

"Wow, Thanks"

I continue stirring, now creating a murky brown colour.

"Ahem"

Professor Snape stood before me, looking down his crooked nose at my concoction.

"And what is this?" He asked, his voice full of judgment.

"Sorry Professor, I seem to have-"

"Fix it immediately" Snape turns to Draco. "And as for you. I expect better from you Malfoy" Shaking his head, he marches off to patronise someone else.

The professor's words had no affect on Malfoy.

"Pathetic" he taunts me, clearly glad that Snape witnessed me mess up.

"Yeah, whatever" I mumble, pushing the cauldron away. My face burning red with humiliation. Like I said to Theo - I'm crap at potions. I face away from Draco, hoping he won't notice my pitiful reaction. Professor Snape was extremely intimidating.

For a moment we sat in silence.

"Here" Malfoy spoke, grabbing ahold of the cauldron and emptying its contents into a spare vial. "I'll fix it for us" His voice seemed slightly softer than before.

I watched him from the corner of my eye, expertly cutting and combining ingredients into the cauldron. The mixture a lumpy mauve, slowly melting down into a smoother transparent liquid. It seemed to be working.

"See. Not so hard is it?" his tone gentler.

I offered him a small smile, tucking a glossy strand of hair behind my ear.

"What can I do?'