Chapter 8: The Final Decision

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward.

~Amelia Earhart~

Lorena Cicero's POV

We kissed a lot the first time we met. The voice inside my head had murmured harshly. Fine, I did let him kiss me, but we wouldn't have kissed back, and in my usual state, I wouldn't stoop so low to let a stranger kiss me. How on earth did I permit him to kiss me back? Now, here I am, wondering how the liberties of life could play such a trick on me.

Why...? Why did deity play on my weak vitality? He didn't even think twice before he grins at me with his last word hunting me right now.

I told you, didn't I? That we were destined to be together!— These were his words, with all full evidence of confidence hanging in the tone of his voice. When he said— Yes, Padre, we have met countless times! And indeed, the Prudish woman here is to be my bride. I accept to be the picked husbandly candidate.

"Loren?" I was immediately distracted by my sister, Verona.

I turned in shock, looking at Verona with wide eyes. "Verona!" I called back.

"What is the matter? How did you both meet? Why was he so excited when he saw you?" She looks sternly at me.

"We met four months ago. It's a very long story; he was my catnapped Nemesis. He has been hunting me since then; I never knew he would be the one Father wants me to take the plunge; he wants me to get married to a psycho. He was even excited to see me; he was super happy to see me; I didn't know that his father was our father's friend."

"He's rich and handsome; he's tall, well educated, he looks demanding and—"

"And a womanizer!" I cut through her word.

She looks at me with a light smile. "Loren, I understand how you're feeling right now, but you are punishing yourself over this; it will only make you fall sick."

"Verona...what are you saying? In less na two weeks, I will be getting married, and our father wants me to move in with him to his penthouse here; he wants us to know each other better in less than a week before the wedding! And you expect me to be okay with that? I hate him, Verona, I hate his gut, I hate pompous guys, and you know that, what about Marcielo ?"

She looks speechlessly at my teary eyes. I slowly walk closer to the window to watch the fantastic night glowing greatness of the city of Rome from Verona's old room. She walks up to me, hugging me from behind.

"Loren, You have to relax okay, I'll help you invite Marcielo over for you to be able to let him know about this arranged marriage,"

Hearing this, I turn around to glance at her hastily with vast eyes. "Marcielo? I can't, Verona, I can't tell him of this, my unknown great treachery. What will he say? What will I tell him? That I've had a one-sided love for him?"

"You have to let him know so he won't find out himself and feel bad; it's good if it comes from you. I'll tell Francesca to draw you a bath, then you relax, and I'll send for him tomorrow, and also, I'll ask Roselina to join you to arrange your clothes for the trip."

I earmarked my head slowly in surrender, with no more power to fight on. "Okay then, you need to take a bath and eat too; you need to rest since you're carrying a child inside of you!"

"Okay, I love you so much, baby sister," She added with a kiss to my forehead. "Mother will forever be proud of us!" She snickered.

"I love you too, big sister. I'll go to my chamber now," I kissed her goodbyes as I slowly exited her chamber.