Chapter 31: The Nuptials

TEN HOURS BEFORE THE WEDDING

Lorena sat at the edge of her bed, her hands resting against her face, as she sobbed quietly. Her phone sat beside her on the bed, a video playing in a loop. Her lip quivered, and her head throbbed the more she cried. Not even the voices in her head could push through her distraught state. There was a stillness in her being as if the world had paused at that moment, safe for her and her trickling tears.

"Lorena? Why are your lights still on by this time?" Verona pushed open the door to Lorena's room and stepped in. She glanced at the time on her phone and saw it was a little past midnight. "You won't believe Arch just made me feed him again by this time. Anyway, he is finally asleep in Francesca's arm, and..." She suddenly paused her rant when she caught sight of her sister in a head-bent position. Her heart skipped a bit when she heard the silent sobs coming from Lorena.

In two quick steps, she was sitting by her side."What is it, Sorella?" She asked, rubbing her sister's back gently. Without raising her head, Lorena pointed to her phone on the other side of the bed.

Verona squinted as she stretched her hands to grab the phone, playing a video. In the first five seconds of the footage, she painted the whole picture. A girl was grinding seductively on Markris's lap, then the video cut to the same girl leaving the venue with Markris in his car. She was leaning into him, and it looked like they were kissing.

"Bastard!" Verona threw the phone on the bed and jumped up with a snarl on her, and her fist tightened. "This is recent, no?" She seethed, pacing around the room.

Lorena nodded. "I was on a call with Alonso discussing some details when it was sent to me. It's his bachelor's party." She scoffed, and a bitter laugh followed.

"I wanted to think he was a decent man. I deluded myself into thinking he was the man for you. How foolish of me!" Verona said, smacking her tongue. She desperately wanted to spit out the bitter taste in her mouth or punch someone's face off its neck.

"Decent?" Lorena laughed. "There's nothing decent about that man Vera. The fact that Dad insists I marry a shameless womanizer who sleeps around twenty-four hours before his wedding says much about the man we call a father. And Rebecca dared to make me believe he loved my mother? Is this how you show love, Sorella? Is love this twisted and deceitful? Am I the naive one for thinking that maybe there are decent men in this world? Please tell me I'm a crazy woman expecting too much from the fucked up earth!" Lorena ranted, her voice choking through the tears. She raised her head gently as it began to throb violently in her skull.

"Lore?" Verona called, walking up to her.

"I'll be fine," She raised her hands to stop her. "I know what to do now." She said in a voice so tiny and defeated it broke Verona's heart again.

FOURTEEN HOURS BEFORE THE WEDDING

Markris stepped into his customized vintage Ferrari, gifted directly from the company itself, ready for his night out with the guys. It was also his bachelor's party, and he planned on getting truly wasted. He had not been to his house since his last encounter with Lorena, and he planned on keeping it that way until the wedding day. Since their fathers were planning everything, all he needed to do was show up. He got to the venue a little past eight, and he was directed to a private parking space, where he parked his car. He hopped out of the vehicle after taking a few seconds to gather. No one would ever guess this was the CEO of a multi-billion dollar firm judging by the way he dressed. He wore free jeans with a vintage multicolored shirt missing its first three buttons. A round gold neckpiece that synced well with his bare chest, showing his tattoos. He finished off the look with a pair of brown boots.