Chapter 13: The Tragic lovestory

"What the fuck is Marcielo doing here?"

"Language, Lorena. But to answer your question, I'm not quite sure. I just saw him from afar and was immediately on the lookout for you."

"Verona?" Lorena grabbed her sister's shoulder, temporarily forgetting about her aching arm. "I need you to help me out here. If Papa sees anything suspicious, we're both going down." She counted her words carefully.

"Don't you think I know that? That's why you must tell him to leave before Father sees him."

"Lorena?" They both turned around at the same time to see Marcielo standing behind them.

"I'll leave you two alone," Verona drew closer to her and whispered. "I'll be on the lookout for anyone we know. Make him go away." She turned around, giving Marcielo a smile before walking away.

Lorena took a moment to gather her best thoughts before raising her head up to Marcielo.

"Lady Lorena?" He called in that soft velvet voice of his. So different, terribly different from the thickness of Makris's voice.

"What are you doing here, Marci?" She said, clasping her hands in front of her. She kept a steady voice, even when she was trembling deep within herself.

"Lorena?" He took a step towards her.

"No, stay back, Marci. I want to know why you're here." This time her voice was a bit shaky with all the emotions flowing within.

Before, she was the man she loved with all her heart, but because of her cruel fate, she couldn't be with him.

"Just once, let me touch you just once." He closed in on her and stroked her hair gently with his fingers. A sting of tears formed at the corner of her eyes, as she stared into his gentle eyes.

He was a dream of a man. All her life, she was used to demanding men. Men that felt like women were beneath them, including her father. But it had always been different with Marcielo. He was so gentle, and sweet.

"You can't be here." Her voice choked with tears as her pleading eyes touched the depth of his soul.

"I know, Bellissima. But I had to see you. When I got the call to do a job here, I would turn it down until I heard you'll be there. I had to see you."

"Bellissima, You've not called me that in years."

She chuckled. "But still, if anyone finds you here...."

"Shhhh," He placed a finger on her lip, suddenly emboldened.

Never had he thought he could be in this position with Lorena. He had been in love with her since he could remember. He had also known she had a crush on him, but he never thought it would amount to anything much.

"Just a moment. I just want to look at you for a moment."

Lorena bit her lip and let him be. Even if it was just for that moment, she was contented with her peace. There were no hidden games. She didn't have to guess his intentions. He was also not going to hurt her.

"You're so beautiful. So sweet and perfect. You shouldn't be marrying someone you don't even like." He whispered, caressing her face.
She sighed.

"I don't want to marry him either, but my father. Oh, My God, my father!" She pushed his hands away, finally regaining her senses.

"What is it, Lorena?" He looked around, bewildered by the sudden change.

"You need to leave, Marci. If my father catches you here, it will not end well for anyone." She grabbed his hands, squeezing them gently but with urgency.