Chapter 12: The Luncheon

"This is not funny, Signor! What are you doing in my room?" She said, covering her body with her hands.

That action alone drew his attention from her ethereal face to her body. He didn't know what color that dress was, but it was divine on her. He had never seen anything like it before, never seen a woman like her before.

He laughed, amused by the pure fire her eyes were spitting toward him. His soon-to-be wife had some wildfire in her, but even the heavens knew she was beautiful.

"Trying to help with your zipper." The sarcasm dripped out of his tongue, further enraging her.

"Like hell, you will!"She bit her tongue immediately.

If her father heard her speaking so vulgarly, he would have her whipped. However, she couldn't help the rage Makris always sparked in her.

"You can't go to the luncheon with your zipper down." He winked and began to walk towards her.

"Stay right where you are." She warned, taking a step back.

"Oh, common Emerald. Why do you have to be so mean?" He pouted momentarily, then his lip spread into a lopsided grin, and his eyes twinkled with mischief.

"It's Lorena!" She took a big step back. Her leg cut between her dress, and she landed on the bed. He was within her in seconds.

"Move!" Were the only words that could escape from her trembling lips.

"Relax," he crouched until he was levelheaded with her. "I'm just trying to help." He said, running a finger across her cheeks. She followed the direction of his hands, hating how soothing it felt.

Lorena felt her control slip a little as her body relaxed at the feel of his hands on her cheeks. It was not bad at all. Hell, it calmed her nerves.

"No!" She suddenly jumped, slipping away from his touch.

He gave her a quizzical look and said. "What?"

"Nothing. You need to leave. This doesn't seem right." Her lips quivered as she wondered why she had easily let her guard down. Makris wasn't the kind of man you did that with. Not only was he a pompous ass, but she had come to understand he was also manipulative.

"Again, what?" He scratched his head in bewilderment. Watching her face was like watching volatile weather. It changed from peaceful to irritated in the most enigmatic ways.

"Are you hard of hearing? I said this doesn't seem right." She said, finally finding her strength again.

To her surprise, he threw his head back and burst into a feat of laughter. She was momentarily taken aback as she watched the transformation in his face. For the first time since she met him, there was no hidden intention in his eyes.

It was just pure male laughter. Alarm bells began to ring in her head. She could fight the vulgar man he was, but this human side may as well be her most dangerous opponent yet.

"I want to be clear on something. Me helping you with your zipper is not right? According to who exactly?" The laughter in his voice had been replaced with a hint of curiosity.

"According to my tradition. You're not supposed to even be in my room." She shrugged. She knew she had just made that up, but it couldn't be too far from the truth. I mean, she was aware of her conservative roots. There could be a rule like that.

"Hmmmm," He stroked his chin, deep in thought. She used that moment to study his face from the corner of her eyes.

Unconsciously, she found herself comparing his features to Marcielo's. Both are huge men but from very different backgrounds. She wondered if that was a factor in shaping their looks. While Marcielo had tanner skin, probably from working under the sun, Makris was more plump and healthy. He was flawless.