Chapter 27: The Favour

Markris's eyes went from his father's piercing gaze to Ariana hurled behind him, shivering. This image transported him back to a time he had thought he would never have to remember again.

The last time he saw his mother or the idea of the mother, he had it in his head because he had forgotten what she looked like.

No, he pretended he didn't remember what she looked like. It's why his looks were a blessing and a curse. It's why his father was so harsh on him. He looked like the woman that broke his heart.

He remembered that day like it was yesterday. His little six-year-old self heard raised voices in a heated argument from the living room. He remembered hiding behind the curtains, watching his father boil in anger.

The look on his mum's face was like Ariana's now—fear mixed with uncertainty about the future. The only thing his little brain could piece together, judging from their words, was that someone had cheated. He didn't know what that meant.

All he knew was that he woke up the next day, and his mother was gone. That same evening, his father walked into his room and told him they would never speak of her again. The look on his father's face when he said to him that women were the same worldwide and that he should never trust a woman with his heart was one he would never quickly forget.

"Leave us, Ariana." He managed to say. With the corner of his eyes, he signaled for Jorginho to leave too.

Ariana hurried away while Jorginho lingered. He knew what Markris's father was capable of doing. The man had singlehandedly raised a damaged son, but still, it wasn't enough for him. He needed Markris to be his lapdog until the day he died.

"Jorge?" He raised a brow and moved his head towards the door.

"You're sure?"

"You heard your boss. Leave us alone!" His father said, seething.

"Leave us." Markris nodded.

"Fine," He picked up his bag. "I'll be in my office if you need me." He let his eyes linger on the older man as he walked away. He didn't like the man and never wasted any opportunity to show it.

"I can't believe you still have that disrespectful twat in your company. What are you doing, Markris?" His father said.

"Patéra, why are you in the company? I told you I'll meet you up for lunch." He said, changing the topic.

"Is that what we're talking about?" He scrunched his nose, taking a seat on the couch.

"Dad, I've told you before. Jorginho is doing me a favor working for me and not vice versa." He sighed, taking his seat.

He snickered and reclined on the couch. "You younglings don't know anything and don't want to learn. Do you think he has been with you all these years just because? He is picking apart your brain for when he starts his own company. Think!"

"I don't see how that's your problem, though." Markris shrugged. He had never been this snotty with his father. As far as he was concerned, his father's words were law. But lately, he was exhausted. The one thing he prided himself on was his confidence to do things himself and do it damn well. It was only a matter of time before his father's hold on him began to slip.

"Watch your mouth. Less you forget, I gave you this company, and I can also take it back."

Markris clenched his fist, desperately wanting to tell his father to fuck off. How dare he undermine his contribution to this company when he had singlehandedly worked his ass off to secure all the clients that kept them afloat? But he smiled instead. There was a time for everything, and he was learning to pick his battles.