1.2 Wendigo

~ Chapter two ~
'And I miss my lover, man'
- Mr loverman, Ricky Montgomery

We all sit in the impala as dean speeds down the highway, Sam is sleeping, Dean is driving and singing to his obnoxious music, I'm listening to music through my iPod to tune out deans horrible voice. Sam jerks up from his slumber he blinks and rubs his eyes like he just woke up from having a bad dream.

"You okay" i ask pulling off my headphones to face my younger brother.

Sam looks at me and then looks away, "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Another nightmare?" Dean questions, me and dean are very well aware how Sam is having nightmares about Jess as much as Sam avoids the questions we know, Sam looks away from the two of us to avoid the question once again, "You wanna drive for a while?"

Me and Sam chuckle, never in a million years did either of us believe that we would hear dean ask them if we wanted to drive, "Dean, your whole life you never once asked either of us that" Sam states.

"Just thought you might want to" dean shrugs, "Never mind."

"Look, you're worried about me" Sam sighs, "I get it, and thank you, but I'm perfectly okay." I roll my eyes as Sam leans forward to grab a map from the dashboard, "All right, where are we?"

"We are just outside of Grand Junction" dean answers.

Sam folds down the map, which is of Colorado and has a large red X labeled 35-111, "You know what? Maybe we shouldn't have left Stanford so soon."

"Sam, we dug around there for a week" i remind my younger brother from the backseats, "We came up with nothing. If you wanna find the thing that killed Jess-"

"We gotta find Dad first" Sam sighs.

"Dad disappearing and this thing showing up again after twenty years, it's no coincidence" dean shrugs. "Dad will have answers. He'll know what to do."

"It's weird, man" Sam admits. "These coordinates he left us. This Blackwater Ridge."

"What about it?" I question.

"There's nothing there" Sam states, "It's just woods." Sam puts down the map. ""Why is he sending us to the middle of nowhere?"

The Impala parks next to a sign that says Ranger Station Lost Creek Trail, Lost Creek National Forest. "So Blackwater Ridge is pretty remote" Sam says as we all look out of the windows.

Inside the ranger station Sam looks at a 3D map of the national forest, paying particular attention to the ridge labeled Blackwater Ridge, "It's cut off by these canyons here, rough terrain, dense forest, abandoned silver and gold mines all over the place."

"Dude, check out the size of this freaking bear" dean chuckles.

Me and Sam look over. Dean is looking at a framed photo of a man standing behind a much larger bear. We come to stand next to dean. "And a dozen or more grizzlies in the area" i state. "It's no nature hike, that's for sure."

A forest ranger walks up behind us; when he speaks, the three of us whip around, startled by his presence. "You guys aren't planning on going out near Blackwater Ridge by any chance?"

"Oh, no, sir, we're environmental study majors from UC Boulder, just working on a paper" i lie. Sam laughs a little.

Dean grins and raises a fist. "Recycle, man."