1.4 Phantom traveler

~ Chapter four ~
'Nobody said it was easy'
- the scientist, Coldplay

Dean is asleep on his stomach. As the door opens, Dean awakens and slips a hand under his pillow for a weapon. As he turns to look, he sees Sam entering, carrying coffee and pastries. "Morning, sunshine."

"What time is it?" Dean grumbles.

"Uh, it's about five forty-five" Sam shrugs.

"In the morning?" Dean questions in disbelief that his brother would be up at that time.

"Yep" Sam smiles.

"Where does the day go?" Dean scoffs sitting up, "Did you get any sleep last night?"

"Yeah, I grabbed a couple hours" Sam shrugs.

"Liar" dean smirks. "Cause I was up at three, and you were watching a George Foreman infomercial."

"Hey, what can I say?" Sam chuckles. "It's riveting TV."

"When was the last time you got a good night's sleep?" Dean asks.

"I don't know, a little while, I guess" Sam replies. "It's not a big deal."

"Yeah, it is" dean corrects.

"Look, I appreciate your concern-" Sam starts.

"Oh, I'm not concerned about you" dean interrupts, "It's your job to keep my ass alive, so I need you sharp." Sam shrugs. "Seriously, are you still having nightmares about Jess?"

Sam crosses the room, sits on the other bed, and hands a coffee to Dean. "Yeah. But it's not just her. It's everything. I just forgot, you know? This job. Man, it gets to you."

"You can't let it" dean states. "You can't bring it home like that."

"So, what?" Sam questions. "All this it never keeps you up at night?" Dean shakes his head. "Never? You're never afraid?"

"No, not really" dean shrugs. Sam reaches under Deans pillow to pull out a large hunting knife and holds it up as evidence. Dean takes the knife back. "That's not fear. That is precaution."

"All right, whatever" Sam shrugs. "I'm too tired to argue." Grumbles come from the other side of the room. Both boys look over at see their sister thrashing about in her bed. "I'm not waking her up. I got slapped when I did that when we were kids."

"One of us has to" Dean argues, "she's having a nightmare. Probably about Harry."

"You do it" Sam begs. "If she's still the same as what she was like growing up she'll hit you."

"Fine" dean grunts getting up and walking over to his sister. He crouches down beside her bed, "Millie? Millie!" He shakes her by her shoulder a little, "Millie?"

I automatically sit up and stare at the boys, "huh?" I get up off my bed and walk across the room, rubbing my face. "Why are you both staring at me like I've got a third eye?" I touch my forehead to make sure there isn't another eye on my head.

"You were shaking" Sam tells me, "you were having a nightmare."

"I am aware Sam" i scoff pouring coffee into a plain white mug.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Sam questions.

"Fuck off" i chuckle as i turn to my younger brother, "you won't talk about it so why should I if I don't want to."

Dean's phone rings which interrupts the mini argument between me and Sam. "Hello?"

"Dean, it's, uh, it's Jerry Panowski. You and your dad helped me out a couple years back."