1.6 Skin

~ Chapter six ~
'But I know that I'll make it out alive'
- stitches, Shawn Mendes

Dean pulls into a gas station. He turns around and hits me across the head waking me up, i groan. "Alright, I figure we'd hit Tucumcari by lunch, then head south, hit Bisbee by midnight."

"Sounds good" i respond. "But you didn't need to wake me up to tell me that. You could've just said when I did wake up!"

Sam does not respond to the info Dean had just pointlessly told us both. "Sam wears women's underwear."

"I've been listening, I'm just busy" Sam states. He is checking e-mails on his PalmPilot.

"Busy doin' what?" I ask looking to my brother confused as i move closer.

"Reading e-mails" sam responds.

Dean gets out of the car and starts to fill the tank with gas. "E-mails from who?"

"From my friends at Stanford" Sam answers.

"You're kidding" dean chuckles. "You still keep in touch with your college buddies?"

"Why not?" Sam shrugs.

"Well, what exactly do you tell 'em?" I ask. "You know, about where you've been, what you've been doing?"

"I tell 'em I'm on a road trip with my big brother and sister" Sam shrugs. "I tell 'em I needed some time off after Jess."

"Oh, so you lie to 'em" dean smiles.

"No" sam lies. "I just don't tell 'em everything."

"Yeah, that's called lying" i chuckle. "I mean, I get it, tellin' the truth is far worse."

"So, what am I supposed to do, just cut everybody out of my life?" Sam asks. Dean shrugs. "You're serious?"

"Look, it sucks, but in a job like this, you can't get close to people, period" dean states, he looks to me, "do you have any friends?"

"Yeah" i shrug. "Harry's friends that were girls, went to a few parties with them but I knew they didn't like me. I had my own group that went to parties every weekend but I've ignored all their emails since I've left because I don't know what to tell them."

"You're kind of anti-social, you know that?" Sam says turning to attention of the conversation back to him.

"Yeah, whatever" dean scoffs.

Sam continues to read his e-mails. "God."

"What?" I ask.

"In this e-mail from this girl, Rebecca Warren, one of those friends of mine" Sam starts.

"Is she hot?" Dean interrupts.

"You just said in this line of work you can't get close to people" i scoff.

"I went to school with her, and her brother, Zack" Sam continues. "She says Zack's been charged with murder. He's been arrested for killing his girlfriend. Rebecca says he didn't do it, but it sounds like the cops have a pretty good case."

"Dude, what kind of people are you hangin' out with?" Dean asks.

"No, man, I know Zack" Sam says. "He's no killer."

"Well, maybe you know Zack as well as he knows you" i shrug with a small chuckle.

"They're in St. Louis" Sam states. "We're going."

Dean chuckles. "Look, sorry about your buddy, okay? But this does not sound like our kind of problem."

"It is our problem" Sam argues. "They're my friends."