1.3 Dead in the water

~ Chapter three ~
'Haven't I given enough, given enough?'
- Gilded Lily, Cults

Dean is sat at a table in a diner. There is a mostly empty plate in front of Dean, who is circling obituaries in a newspaper.

Dean circles an obituary that reads: Carlton, Sophie - The Carlton family is sad to announce the death of their beloved daughter in a tragic swimming accident.

A attractive waitress approaches the table, "Can I get you anything else?"

Dean looks up and grins around the pen he's chewing on. Me and Sam come over and sit down, "Just the check, please." I smile at the woman.

"Okay" the waitress smile before she walks away.

Dean drops his head, then looks at the two of us. "You know, we are allowed to have fun once in a while." Dean points to waitress walking away; she's wearing short shorts. "That's fun."

"Dean stop being such a dick" i scoff, "women aren't just objects you can use for your benefit cause you're such a loner."

Sam chuckles while dean rolls his eyes. Dean turns the newspaper to face us. "Here, take a look at this, I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week Sophie Carlton, eighteen, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water; nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago."

"A funeral?" Sam questions.

"Yeah, it's weird, they buried an empty coffin" dean responds, "For closure or whatever."

"Closure?" I repeat, "People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them."

"Something you want to say to me?" dean questions.

I look to Sam for a moment before looking back at my older brother, "The trail for Dad" i start, "It's getting colder every day. I can't stay here dean. I have a life to get back to."

"A life?" Dean repeats with a scoff. "Your life has fallen apart Millie."

"Don't remind me" I respond through gritted teeth. "I need to get home dean. I need to get my life back. The sooner we find dad I can do that. The trail is dead."

"Exactly" dean interrupts, "So what are we supposed to do?"

"I don't know" i shrug, "Something. Anything. Search for our deadbeat of our father. Not sit around staring at waitresses asses!"

"You know what? I'm sick of this attitude" dean scoffs, "You don't think I wanna find Dad as much as you do? I'm the one that's been with him every single day for the past two years, while you two have been off to college going to pep rallies. We will find Dad, but until then, we're gonna kill everything bad between here and there. Okay?" Sam rolls his eyes and i scoff.

"I don't want to find dad" i state. "I want to make sure he is safe, that's all I care about. As long as I know the man isn't about to drop dead, I can sleep peacefully in my house."

"So the second we find him you're leaving?" Dean asks.

"Not when we find him" i correct. "When he get a sign he's safe, as soon as that happens, I'm running. Im not letting my life fall apart because of the same man that ruined my teenage years."

The waitress walks by, distracting dean. "All right, Lake Manitoc" Sam sighs, trying to divert the attention of the conversation, "Hey!"

Dean returns his attention to me and Sam. "Huh?"

"How far?" I ask while giving dean a glare.

Dean knocks on the door to the Carlton household. Will Carlton opens up the door. "Will Carlton?"