A Date

Keith headed to his mother's where the twins and Kosmo were running around in the backyard. Krolia could see that Keith wanted to talk about something but was reluctant to. She didn't want the twins to worry about Keith so she decided to ask him about it later after the twins were in bed. Kolivan came out a few minutes later announcing dinner was ready.

After dinner, Keith and the twins headed home. The twins had tired themselves out because Keith could see them nodding off in the rearview mirror. They had also tuckered Kosmo out because the dog was lying down in the front seat, soft snores escaping him.

~

After the twins had been tucked in and fast asleep, Keith headed downstairs and into the backyard. He left the screen door open as he sat down on the couch on the back porch. The memories of the day ran through his head. He definitely wasn't expecting Lance to kiss him, let alone for him to return the kiss. This definitely wasn't in his plan, four years ago he swore that his heart would never allow Lance back into his life and yet, here he was.

"I've always thought that men were slime

And every guy I've met has proved me right

Until tonight"

After James, Keith had debated swearing off dating. He had gone through two break ups and both ended horribly, one right after he still wasn't over the first. He supposed that's what he gets for agreeing to date knowing his heart wouldn't be in it. James still didn't have to be an ass about it though.

More than that, he didn't want his girls to be having to deal with a bunch of guys coming and going from their lives as much as his own life.

"Just when I thought I had it figured

That life's a game you cannot win

He comes in and changes all the rules

What I've been taught I learned the hard way

That life and love are never just

And if you trust you're just one of the fools"

Keith had always been taught that once a relationship was over, that was it, there was nothing more. However, here he was agreeing to start a relationship again with the man who held his heart from the beginning. Maybe it was just meant to be.

"And now I can't believe my heart is saying don't resist him

That I've been on my guard too long

I can't believe my heart surrendered when I kissed him

And told me all I thought I knew as sad but true is wrong"

Keith's heart had been guarded ever since he and Lance had broken up. Even with James, there was still barriers up that kept his heart safe. And yet, he felt his walls fall and his heart stitch together as soon as Lance kissed him.

"If life is worth the disappointment

I haven't seen one reason yet

Until I met the boy who smiles for free

Upon this earth there's no one like him

He sees the boy I long to be

Making even me believe in me"

Keith smiled softly as he remembered why he had fallen in love with Lance in the first place. Lance had a carefree laugh to him which matched the charming smile he always wore. That's right, Keith said it, Lance was charming. Especially his smile. It warmed Keith's heart whenever Lance smiled at him, even now, even after five years of pain.