Too Good To Be True

"Where are we going?" Camilla asked as she strapped herself into her booster seat, Keith setting her backpack under her feet.

"We're gonna go meet papa's family," Keith responded with a smile, turning his head to make sure Lance and Marina were actually coming out of the house like they said they would be.

"We'll be out in a minute," Lance had told Keith as Keith took Camilla out to the car.

Well. That had been three minutes ago.

"Are they nice?" Camilla asked, turning Keith's attention back to her.

"They are," Keith replied with a nod. "They want to meet you, they only just learned about you twins you know."

"Daddy?"

"What is it baby?" Keith asked, leaning against the car beside her seat.

"What if they don't like us?" Camilla asked softly. Keith frowned, it was unlike Camilla to be nervous like this. Between Camilla and Marina, Camilla had always been the brave one.

"I'm sure they will baby," Keith said with a smile. "They just need to get to know you."

"You promise?"

"I promise," Keith affirmed with a nod, leaning forward to kiss her forehead gently. He closed her door and climbed into the passenger seat, just as Lance, Marina, and Kosmo came out of the house, Lance locking the door behind him.

A few minutes later, Marina was strapped into her car seat, Kosmo was sitting between the two girls and Lance had buckled himself into the driver's seat.

"Pretty sure that was longer than a minute," Keith said as he buckled his seat belt, Lance following in suit before starting the car.

"Well, you've had five years of experience with this," Lance said with a roll of his eyes.

"Excuses," Keith said with a playful smirk.

~

By the time they arrived in Cranston, the sun was starting to go down. It had taken them a little longer than they would have liked but with two five year olds, things don't always go as planned.

"You live here papa?" Marina asked with wide eyes, her eyes never leaving the house.

"I do," Lance answered with a smile. "Ever since I was a baby."

Just as they walked up to the front door, the door opened and out walked Lance's mother. Rosa, who wore a big smile on her face.

"I figured it was you lot," she said as she drew Lance into a hug. "I missed you mi hijo."

"I missed you to mama," Lance replied with a smile. Rosa pulled back and turned to Keith, her smile never leaving her face. In fact, Keith swore it grew bigger.

"It's good to see you again Keith," Rosa said, a motherly tone present in her voice.

"Yes, it's good to see you again as well Mrs. McClain," Keith replied with a small nod.

"Oh please, Mrs. McClain makes me sound old," Rosa said with a scoff. "Please, just call me Rosa. You are family now after all."

Rosa's gaze then turned to the two girls who were clinging onto the fabric of Keith's black jeans and staring cautiously up at the woman. Her eyes softened and she slowly knelt down to be level with the twins.

"How would you two like to help me bake some cookies for later?"

"Go on," Keith said with a smile, placing his hands on each girls head and ruffling their hair.