05

From tomorrow, I'll be
I'll protect you
All-day all night.

Enhypen - 10 months

___________________________________

Chaerin stood outside the ICU as the monotone beeping of the heartbeat monitor went silent. Tears dropped down her face, leaving an endless trail in her cheeks.

Her lips parted open as she shakily breathed, mouth gritting against each other. The baby cries echoed in the room like a call for someone. It ached her heart as all she could feel was a lonely void seeping her energy from within.

Why does it need to be like this?

They could have been a perfect family.

They would raise Baby Heeseung into an excellent adult.

She would be able to find a husband, and Heeyeon-unnie would walk her down the aisle to him.

Part of her wanted her to live, where they could go back to the days and contemplate among themselves.

But she knew -  deep within her heart - unnie wouldn't want to live in exchange for her baby son.

But now, she has a responsibility to raise him.

She couldn't do it.

Her kindness wouldn't match hers; it would affect him dearly. She knew she wasn't a good influence, kind person, or genuine one.

After all, her mind was always on her future. The money her parents left her is still locked within her vaults.

She couldn't maintain her house, garden, and studies. Her schedule is packed with work all day and reviewing for entrance exams.

When she thought she finally had someone to rely on, she left her with memories haunting her every now and then.

The scars in her heart are freshly wounded, adding regrets she'll carry with her for years.

"Ms. Lee, you need to fill out the forms," a nurse chimed in.

Her hands grabbed the paper and looked at it with soulless eyes. Now, does she have to name him on her own?

Heeyeon should have done this.

She doesn't deserve to write nor carry these forms in her hands.

But she knew that no one else would take on the role of Heeseung's mother.

The forms required her to know all about her: age, place, certifications. Many answers clouded her head as her eyes scanned the paper. The slight shift in the air reminded her of her sister's ramblings.

Everything she rambled fit perfectly in the questions in her hands. She thought it was a random babble they'll argue every day, but she should have known it was all planned.

Her mind wandered in the depths of her, watching aimlessly as her hands did all of the writing.

The forms are done with the nurse watching everything with sympathetic eyes. Normally, she would have glared at the person looking at her, but all she could do was look down the floor with no energy.

"Would you like to see him?" The nurse asked as she flipped the forms. She turned to look at her with an emotional gaze.

Would she like to look at him?