06

This road that doesn't seem unfamiliar, feels unfamiliar
Asking me once again if this is a road I know of

Seventeen - Don't Wanna cry

_____________________________

Being a new mother is hard. Their first night ended up as a disaster, and her headaches kept getting worse. Baby Heeseung is an excellent companion, even if he kept sleeping, crying, and pooping.

Chaerin did not get any rest at the housework. She grabbed the large metal pot and placed it on the stove in medium heat. Sweat dripped down her forehead, and Chaerin looked at the black clock in the wall.

"Hungry," she muttered as she opened her fridge. It was a miracle that the refrigerator was full of groceries. The cold instant rice cooked inside the microwave, and Chaerin heaved a sigh.

She sipped at the sweet banana milk and sat down on her wooden chair. The sound of air swishing at the chimes of her door served as her music at the lonely night.

But then, Baby Heeseung cried, and she rushed to the crib. Her hands soothed him to sleep, and she swayed side to side. When she tried to close the door, Baby Heeseung woke up and cried again.

Chaerin grabbed the baby carrier at the corner of the room and strapped him in. Her ears rang as Baby Heeseung cried non-stop, and she went downstairs carefully.

In her opinion, she was not equipped to be a mother. She can barely cook, clean, and eat, but with a newborn? Stress would be the reason for her death.

The whistle of the metal pot alarmed her, causing her to run to the kitchen. She rummaged the cabinets for the metal tongs and began removing the baby bottles in the boiling water.

"Can you please not cry?" Chaerin begged at her son in her arms. It did not work as Baby Heeseung wailed even more.

She gritted her teeth as she swayed up and down. Her arms grabbed the baby bag on the counter, and she stuffed the bottles and formula inside.

Chaerin tried to put Baby Heeseung in the bed again, but he woke up and cried. Her continuous swaying tired her, while Baby Heeseung whimpers after a long time of crying.

"Are you missing your mother?" Her voice echoed in the room as moonlight crept in the room. It illuminated the room enough for her to see her son's face clearly.

"You know," she muttered. "You look like Heeyeon-unnie, so much."

Her hands caressed the tiny hair in the newborn's head. "I hope you grow up into a wonderful adult," she whispered before carefully laying him down on the bed.

----------------------------------------------------------

The doorbell rang, and she opened the door to meet the delivery man. She ordered funeral clothes for Baby Heeseung and herself last night.

She closed the door and opened the packages in her hands. The black hanboks laid down in her hands as she headed upstairs to the laundry room.

Her hands pinched her nose as the stink of their clothes fille dup the room. Chaerin opened the washing machine and laundered the clothes. "How do unnie do this?" she mumbled as she tried not to gag.

She went downstairs and sat down on the wooden chair. It was her only comfort in these times, the few minutes she could think for herself. The world around her starts to brighten up little by little.

With the little one in her home, she could feel the pressure of the future in her hands. The slight wrong decision could very much affect both of them.