26

I'll be your man, I won't ever let you go again

I can't just leave you like that again

Please call my name

BTOB - Pray (I'll be your man)

The night sky shone as the stars became visible to the naked eye. The streetlights lit up as they illuminated the bustling streets as stores began to close. Chaerin carried the rectangular pink box held by a white ribbon. It was their favorite flavor: chocolate cake with cute animals decorated on top.

It left a satisfied smile on her lips as her onyx hair swayed along with the warm air of April. "Unnie, you're spacing out again," Nara called out as her eyes widened. She raised her arms in defense as Nara karate chopped her forehead.

Her lips pursed into a pout as she raised an eyebrow at her. It caused Nara to bellow a laugh and clutch her coat in support. "Anyway, Unnie, are we there yet?" Nara asked as her eyes wandered in the familiar area, and her hands fumbled her phone.

Chaerin set her lips in a thin line as she deadpanned at her. They have been strolling since they left the station, but she only asked now. "Yes, we're near the house," she sighed. Chaerin almost spent all her patience with the unrelenting curiosity of the teenager beside her.

After their eventful talk, silence engulfed them as her phone rang. She answered the phone near her ear as the soft rustling of the living room echoed. "Chaerin-ah." The deep voice of her friend echoed in her ear, and it reminded her that time was fast. It would not compensate nor wait for anyone.

"Minho-Oppa," she called out as Nara leaned closer to her. "Help me, we finished the food you left us for dinner a while ago, and now I don't know what to give them for dinner," Minho explained. Perhaps, she knew him, all too well.

He was hopeless when it came from the ordinary house chores since he was from a rich family. Minho never knew how his apartment worked, but Chaerin thought him everything. It was only a matter of time before he moved into her mansion. Maybe, she was supposed to be like him if her parents were alive.

She sighed as Nara covered her mouth to hide her laughter. "Don't laugh," Chaerin scolded her as the girl bobbed in understanding. "We're near the house right now," she paused and glanced down at her watch. It was near dinner, and they have minutes to spare for a little bit of walk.

"Wait for us," she voiced out as the call ended. She tucked the phone in her pocket as they resumed walking. Her eyes wandered to Nara as a corner of her lip quirked up. "Nara," she called out as she went closer to her and reached for her bag. The girl waited as her eyes enlarged to the golden hair comb clip with pearls and crystals adorned.

Her delicate fingers intertwined a couple of strands from the side of her hair. She carefully inserted it to the middle and spun her around to see her creation. "You were looking at it before, and it's a gift," Chaerin muttered.

Nara stood there with a side part as stray strands of her hair completed the look. It matched her appearance as it caused her to look pure and neat. Though, it was completely opposite to her personality. It took seconds for Nara to snap out of her delusions as her cheeks flushed. Her mouth gaped open as she unlocked the camera app on her phone.

"I look... girly," she muttered. Chaerin frowned and reached out to the golden clip. Nara dodged to the right as she looked at Chaerin strangely. Her hands covered the pin in the back of her head in a defensive position. "What are you doing?" she asked.

"I'm taking it back," Chaerin told her. Nara remained in her position as her ears reddened and looked away from her. "I didn't say I hated it," she paused before running away from her, "It's mine now!" Chaerin smiled as she hurried to catch up to her while Nara complained to her albeit embarrassed to the whole situation.

^_^

Chaerin unlocked the door as Nara rushed in to sit on the sofa. "I'm home," she called out as children fussed in to hug her legs. It compelled her to snicker a laugh as she carried Jake in her arms. The children pouted at her with her choice – they wanted to be carried too.

"Good day?" She asked as they roamed through the crowded hallway. Her steps are light as Jake hugs her closer as if he was afraid of letting her go. She placed her keys in the cabinet near their stairs and resumed their walk.

"The best," he muttered, and Chaerin grinned at him, brushing away a couple of his bangs, and kissed him on the temple. "My sweet baby," she whispered. Her eyes wandered to the black watch with an intricate design of hourglass, strapped in his wrist.

A slight beeping sound caught her ears as she spun around. Her eyebrow furrowed with Jake pounding her lightly in the chest and tears streaming down his cheeks. In a split second, he leaped from his arms and scrambled to his room.

She followed him, frantically knocking the wooden door. "Jake? What happened?" Her questions remained unanswered as Jake's cries became louder. "Eomma?" Sunghoon asked from the bottom of the stairs as she faced him.

"Can you tell Aunt Nara to get the keys of the bedroom?" Sunghoon nodded as Chaerin slid down the door, kneeling to the knob. The stairs creaked as Minho climbed up only to see Chaerin with tears glistening in her eyes.

He sighed and knocked on the wooden door. "Jake," he called out as the door opened, revealing a disheveled and confused child. "Uncle!" Jake beamed as he opened his arms to him. He stiffened as he was confused of the sudden behavior shift of his behavior.

"Jake!" Chaerin shouted as she hugged him tight. She frantically inspected his body for bruises or scratch, but she found none. "Eomma? Why are you crying?" Her eyes widened as Jake conversed with her using full Korean.