Back Home & Avery's Choice

(A/N: You guys might need to read this chapter. I'm unsure if this was a good choice to make. But I stuck with it so I hope it was worth it).

_______________________________________

Later, the herd makes their way back across the skeleton bridge to the surface. Peaches is holding onto Ellie's tail, the same way a kid would hold their mother's hand, and Sid does the same with Manny. Though it's mostly because he's already tired from the walking.

As they continue walking, Buck stops to turn around and look at his home one last time before solemnly looking at his knife. With it being the last thing left of Rudy, Buck knew exactly what to do with it next.

"So long, big guy". He sticks his knife into the ground of the skeleton bridge and pats the handle.

Avery sees his gloomy state and walks to his side to comfort him. She puts her paw on his shoulder and gives him a reassuring smile, which he returns before the two of them turn away to move on with the rest of the herd.

But then, just as they took a couple of steps, a very familiar roar echoed in the distance, causing everyone to freeze and look back.

"That's our cue! Come on, Peaches", Manny said, hurrying his daughter while everyone else followed.

Everyone but Buck that is.

"He's alive", Buck's ears perk up and he grins, feeling a mixture of relief and excitement over the fact that Rudy survived.

"Really?" Avery says in surprise.

Diego and Redwood look behind them and take notice that the two weasels weren't following the rest of the herd. "Buck?" Diego calls out.

"Avery?" Redwood does the same.

Buck's expression suddenly drops when he remembers that he had already agreed to come with the others back to their home. "I... I gotta..." He struggles to explain himself. He was torn about what he should do.

Avery sees this and, even though this was making her heart ache terribly, she didn't want Buck to be unhappy by making a hard decision. "...I get it. Go on".

"What?" Buck gives her a questionable look.

"Go on", Avery forces herself to smile. "You seem happy when your down there and I don't wanna take that away from you. Not that you ever needed it, but I give you permission to go back".

Buck's confusion turns into realization... right before it turns into pain.

Avery, the one (non-fake and actual living) person that he has grown to love, was already prepared to split up with him just so he can be happy. It was sweet just as much as it was heartbreaking.

It even made his decision and torn thoughts worse, as he knew going back would also mean leaving her behind. He didn't want to do that. He couldn't do that.

"Avery, love, I...", He wanted to say something, he really did. But this was just becoming harder by the second.

"It's fine, Buck. I'll be fine", Avery assured him as she grabbed his hand into hers, but the emotional crack in her voice said otherwise. "Just... don't you worry about a thing. We belong in different worlds anyway".

Diego and Redwood were watching this from the sidelines and saw how hard this was for the both of them to see. It isn't easy to part ways with a loved one, but right now it needed to be done.....