Twenty-One

Things with Alexis and Iain had gotten worse. They weren't even talking. And he rarely came back home. Alexis felt like he was cheating on her. And she didn't know how she would cope if she lost him.

When she woke that morning, she groaned as she saw Iain wasn't in bed. But she had stomach cramps. She knew she was due soon and it annoyed her to think that Iain wasn't as invested in their baby as she was.

Alexis walked downstairs and saw him sitting on the sofa. She rolled her eyes. "You know, if you keep up with this, you won't be able to see Angel again. Ainslee tells me you haven't seen her in two weeks. What the hell?"

Iain scoffed. "Stay out of it. I'm serious."

"Sort it out! I am having your baby in a few weeks. And I need your support. Not you acting like a complete drama queen. Just sort this out!" Alexis said as she walked back upstairs and got dressed.

***
Alexis arrived at work. She saw Ainsley there with Angel and Madison. She smiled. "Hey. Where's Evie?" She asked.

"She's with my mother for the day. My mother took the day off. And Evie wanted to stay with her," Ainsley said.

Alexis smiled as she took Angel from Ainsley and sighed. "I don't know what's going on with Iain. He doesn't even seem bothered that he hasn't seen Angel. I mean... she's his daughter. And she deserves better than that," she told her.

Ainsley nodded and smiled. "I know. I just... I don't know. Three nights in a row I've been sat up with her crying because her daddy won't see her. I don't know what's happened but he really does need to sort it out, I'm not going to have my daughter upset," she said.

"I get that babes. Just... I don't know. Something has happened. And I don't know what it is," Alexis said.

***
Alexis was sitting in the staffroom. She looked up as Iain walked in. "Can we talk?" She asked.

"Nothing to talk about. I'm just having a bad day. Which is acceptable given what I've been through," Iain said.

"And I want to be there for you. I love you."

Iain said nothing as he walked off. Alexis scoffed. She was just about done with Iain and his moods now. She was sick of it.

***
Alexis walked into the ambulance bay. She saw Iain sitting there. "Cut this crap now. What the hell is going on?" She asked.

"My ex... she called me. She said she had my daughter. A year ago. Before me and you happened. She told me that she's dying. My daughter. She's dying."

Alexis frowned. "Jordan? That ex?"

Iain nodded. "Yeah. That ex. My baby is dying and I didn't even know about her."

Alexis frowned again. She didn't know what to think. But she felt like there was something going on here. Iain broke down. "I'm scared. I'm scared I'll lose our baby. Or Angel," he sobbed.

***
Iain had gone on a call out. Alexis went to find Ainsley. "Jordan. When she left, was she pregnant?" She asked.

Ainsley turned to her and frowned. "Jordan? As in the crazy bitch who said Cal had raped her?"

"Yeah. That one."

Ainsley shrugged. "I don't know. Why?"

Alexis sighed. "Because. She's contacted Iain. She says she had his daughter who's now dying. And Iain is broken. He's so scared," she told her.

Ainsley frowned again. She looked at her. "I'll find out what's going on. But I know that there is something going on. I promise I'll find out what," she said.

Alexis sighed and nodded. But she had no idea how the truth was about to destroy Iain more than anything.