Patches and Stitchings

Jason's P. O. V

I woke up early I'm the morning to do a quick workout before school. By the time I was done I went to make breakfast and also made some for DJ.

"Hi JP," he greeted coming from his bedroom wearing a casual outfit.

"What's up little bro?" I asked.

"I'm not little anymore JP," he whined.

"You're still my little bro DJ," I said smiling.

I went over and messed up his hair, my phone lit up and I moved back to see a text. Unlocking my phone, I tapped the notification. I smiled at the text from Dawn and sent a quick reply. I was about to call her when DJ huffed and puffed on his chair, crossing his arms.

"...so what do you think about that?" He asked, his smile the slowly faded.

"What?" I inquired.

"Let me guess, it's Dawn?" He asked nonchalantly as he rolled his eyes.

"You don't like her?" I asked frowning at him then looking down at the chat between Dawn and I.

"I get that she makes you happy and all but you become so oblivious when it comes to her. It's like no on e else matters, it's kind of ... Look, I don't hate her or anything, I barely know her, but I feel like I barely know you anymore."

"I'm still the same big bro you know and love," I reassured him.

"The real JP would never say something as cliché as that. I don't know you anymore," he added, his hands clenching to fists.

"What are you talking about?"

I move closer to him but he stood up and moved away heading for the car. He stopped at the door and looked back at me.

"I already lost a mom to death, a dad to depression, but I can't lose you just cause of a girl," he stated the tears welling up in his eyes.

"You haven't lost me," I tried desperately to reassure him.

"But I already have. Sometimes, sometimes it's like you don't even notice me. I know I'm the youngest and sometimes that means being invisible."

With that, a loud thump sounded as the door shook to its violent close. I looked at my sneakers, a gnawing feeling growing inside. Something was eating me up inside, numbing parts of me such that I lost feeling.

I ditched my breakfast but took DJ's and packed it. I walked to the car my head hanging low with headphones to drown out the rest of the world as I was deep in thought.

The car ride seemed dead silent but the Lewis Calpadi songs successfully drowned out any deafening silence.

Seven songs later, we reached school premises. My little brother's school being just on the other side of the fence to mine, he only had to walk a short distance to get to his school.

I snapped out of my thoughts ready to get to class, my hand hovered over the door handle. I looked at my father who was staring at his phone, silently typing with his free hand.

My eyes stared into the mirror, gazing at the reflection of my brother. His glared hardened when it met mine. Motionless, he stared back, a hostile staring contest heating up.

My father finally noticed and his cold eyes stared at me and averted to the mirror. He did not say a single word but he didn't need to, his actions were loud enough, he wasn't having this today.

DJ and I both got out simultaneously shutting the door, and without a single glance we headed our separate ways.

I shoved my hands in my pockets, my head hanging low I dragged my feet to the main entrance. My feet were not the only thing I was dragging. A numb feeling taking over every inch of feeling in my chest. Emptiness. That is what I felt at this very moment.