Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Odessa Sedet

I make my way through the slightly way to long hall at Rebecca's first ballet dance. I think I had my doubts when her father forced her into it because she does nothing but stay on her iPad all day. It did make sense. And I think he knew better then to put her in something related to school since she already dreads that. I just want to wish her luck. I've seen one short practice but she seems very dedicated. He said he will make it in time but he's barely coming in from his flight. I'd rather him not give half promises truthfully.

I walk into the ready room I guess and see her sitting down on her iPad.

"What are you doing Rebecca?" I try keeping my calm. But she's been hiding the entire time.

"Disney Plus." She says confidently.

I go and stand in front of her. She looks up at me not concerned. "Put it down and go practice with your...girls. You think your dad paid all that just for you to keep doing what you want here too?"

"It doesn't matter since he won't be here will he?"

"Even if he didn't come it's for you. Not him, or even me so get up."

"I'm not going to twirl on a dance floor with all those people." She whispers before looking down at her device again. Sadly I take it from her and sit it to the side.

"You look gorgeous and you know how to take everyone attention." Literally.

"Stop being scared. Just imagine it's only me."

"That's even worse." She says in disgust and I roll my eyes. Either way she stands up. I smile and hug her softly. Of course she hugs me back. I expect it to be quick. But it's not.

"Sometimes you're more of a parent then both my actual blood parents."

Oh.

"That's not true." I really hope that's not true.

Her words starts to replay throughout the entire show. I seem to keep looking at my phone for some message from him. I keep looking back at the door praying a sudden light is interrupting but nothing. Nothing until the last five minutes. He shows up five minutes before it ends. But what is five minutes. He sits next to me for five minutes. And even in the complete darkness. We're seated front row. Where I see the marks on his neck. When he catches me staring hard I look away and stare up at the stage as they give their credits and mumble. I feel his eyes burn at my hands that are interwined.

No one understands that ache.

In your heart when you put things together that you don't. It's like that high school crush you know you'll never get. When you see them speak to other girls. When you think that just because you've exchanged a couple words with them they're in love with you. He doesn't love his wife. He has no obligation to her other then being a good father and brining in money.

He doesn't care.

I remind myself that when we're stepping out after he spoke to Rebecca apologizing numerous times. Of course letting her go home with a friend to sleep over not caring. A girls party.