Warning: Luck of the Irish Coming Through

Before we begin, let me tell you something important. Everyone is going to have a different version of this story, but all of those versions are lies. 

Now, I don't normally like to re-hash the past but a certain event today, my 17th birthday, reminded me of it. Also, the fact that I didn't get one birthday wish made me think of my bitter childhood. 

Now, let's get started. All my life, I was the bad child. My mother and father alway fawned over the precious Nehemiah. 'Oh, Nehemiah is such a good kid. Ah, Nehemiah mastered his first charm so young! Wow, Nehemiah just nursed a bird back to health.' Blah, blah, blah. 

It's not like I couldn't have done those things. I would have... If all the attention was off a Nehemiah for two seconds! So basically, I have been ignored by my parents my entire life.Today, while I was walking through the corridor and all the faces of my classmates blurred around me while I was the only one who had the knowledge that today was my birthday. Today was the day that I was legally an adult and not one person knew it.

Which brings me back to the memory I was going to re-live. It was my 10th birthday and I was absolutely ecstatic, as any kid is before they realize that they are only celebrating that they haven't died yet. I woke up with a smile on my face, awaiting to fully embrace a day with the attention on me.  

I ran downstairs, hoping to see a breakfast of some sort made, or a pile of presents on the table, but instead I find a complete absence of human life. 'Mum? Dad?' I called, waiting for one of them to make an appearance. Nothing. 

I searched the house high and low, looking for any clues as to where they were. Not even Nehemiah was there. Being the naive child that I was, I convinced myself that they were out getting me presents or planning some extravagant affair just for me. Boy, was I wrong. 

I waited around all day, by myself, my heart leaping every time I heard the tiniest noise. Soon, the sun outside was setting and, though I should have realized that the weren't coming, I remained optimistic.  

Looking back, I should have realized where they were. On a normal day, they would go out to work and then go to their friend's house for most of the night, returning only when it was time for bed, but this wasn't a normal day. It was my birthday. 

As the light turned into dark, and my door creaked open just as my eyes were falling shut, I jumped up thinking that finally, my birthday would be recognized. When I realized it was only Nehemiah, a few tears fell down my face.  

'I'm sorry, Elijah. Mum and dad had to work. Happy Birthday. I got you something,' Nehemiah told me, handing me a neatly wrapped gift after releasing me from a hug. 

I unwrapped the gift with shaking fingers. It was a broomstick. My very own broomstick. 'I saved up my money to get you that. I know you've always wanted mine.' 

Now, before I get too mushy, I'll let you know that my parents never told me happy birthday that day. I didn't say anything to them of course. No, the way I dealt with that blow was turning myself into exactly what I am today.  

People notice me now. I'm overly sarcastic and bitter, as well as quite the sexual predator when it comes to girls. Most girls like it though, but not her. 

Initially, I only went after Allie because I knew my brother liked her. I always went after what he went after. So I could be better than him at everything that he did.  

But after I started stalking her, as I do, things changed. She hasn't fallen for any of my tricks. And for some reason, I love the reaction I get from her. I love the way that I get under her skin like no one else. 

Unfortunately though, Draco has her heart. As if that stops me from doing anything. I always get what I want... I mean, from everyone other than my parents. But I ex-communicated them a long time ago.