You're A Brave Kid, Aren't You?

"Dad? What are you doing here?" my mother asked, looking up the man who had just came through the door.

"I came to see my granddaughter," he said, his voice radiating with authority. He smiled down at me from where he was standing.

I wanted to tell him to get out; I wanted to scream and yell but I couldn't. Not if I wanted to make this work. I had to put on a brave face and be strong.

"I don't know if that's a good idea---"

"It's fine, mom. I'm fine," I said while turning to face him. He had tanned skin and a full head of dark, slightly greying hair. He looked as if he was in his mid-fifties, but still relatively young. He had dark circles under his eyes and he exuded power. It was rather intimidating to be in his presence. 

"You're beautiful, even more so than I imagined. You look so much like your mother," he said. I resisted the urge to slap him in the face for even referring to my mother.

I plastered a fake smile on my face and tried not to take it to heart. When my mother realized that I was already putting on a facade, she asked her father to take a seat.

"So, what brings you here?" I asked, literally twiddling my thumbs out of nervousness.

"A few things. I came to see you of course, I've been wanting to for a long time. Also, I was called back.....my services are needed," he said nonchalantly.

"What exactly are your services?" I asked, even though my mother was shaking her head at me.

"If you must know, I am a death eater and the Dark Lord needs me. But, there's no reason for me to burden you with my business. You're too young." The way he spoke reminded me of those old muggle movies about gangsters and the mafia. I'm quite sure if he was a muggle that he would be participating in similar activities.

"I'm sort of already burdened with all that business since we live next door to the Malfoys. And.........I'm also seeing Draco Malfoy. I think it should be my business. Especially if you're looking to find a place in my life. I believe that I should be informed about the basics at the very least," I said as defiantely as I could, though there was an audible quiver in my voice.

"If you insist, I suppose I'll give you the basics. I loyally serve the Dark Lord, as do the Malfoys, though Lucius is now imprisoned for the time being. We basically do whatever he tells us to do, no arguments. I think you could have guessed that on your own, you seem like a smart girl. Also, I don't know if Draco Malfoy is the right guy for you to be seeing. I don't know if I like that."

"Well, good thing it's not you then," I said, crossing my arms over my chest. I could see my mother from the corner of my eye mouthing words at me but I wasn't paying attention.

"You're a brave kid, aren't you? That's a good quality to have. You've turned out well, thanks to your parents. I hear that you go to Hogwarts. You're in....?"

"Gryffindor, actually."

"That makes sense. Like I said, I can see that you're brave. Does that mean that you know the infamous Harry Potter?"

Shit. I should have known that they would be interested in that. "I know of him. I don't really talk to him that much though.... We're more so classmates than anything else," I lied blatantly.

"I'm glad you said that. I definately don't think that Potter is the right company to keep. Especially not these days, it'll put you in danger."

"You're probably right...."

Okay, so no talking to him about Harry, any of the Weasleys, or muggleborns. So, to him, I basically have no friends.... I guess I could say that I hang out with Slytherins.

"I mostly hang out with Slytherins, actually....and the occasional Hufflepuff. Ravenclaws and Gryffindors are too conceited....," I said, not being able to hold the giggles back. Ben looked at me curiously. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry," I said between giggles, "I'm actually lying. I don't hang out with Slytherins, only Draco. Now they are conceited."

"I'll let you in on a little secret," he said, leaning in closer. "Out of all the Slytherins that I've met, they were all conceited. Although if I'm being totally honest, I would have probably been sorted into Slytherin if I would have been at Hogwarts."

My mom cleared her throat and everyone looked in her direction. I only remembered that my dad was in the room now, as I was so intently focused on my conversation. "Um....dad, Allie needs to unpack....... You can come over for dinner tonight if you'd like."

"I think I will do that. I'll be bringing Nehemiah," he said while standing up.

"Who's Nehemiah?" I asked.

"He's sort of like an apprentice. I brought him here with me; he had taken an interest in the death eater life and I offered to bring him to the Dark Lord himself. I'm kind of responsible for him now but he's a good kid."

I was just about to ask another question when my mom chimed in again. "Okay, dinner will be at seven. I'll see you and Nehemiah then," she said with a fake smile, ushering him to the door.

Once he was gone, I heard my mom audibly sigh. "Thank goodness he's gone..... Allie, you've got to start thinking before you speak. He's dangerous! No talking back, do you understand? Now go upstairs and unpack. Be ready for dinner at seven and I'm serious about not talking back. Especially with another death eater coming over; we have no idea how dangerous he could be."

"Mom, I wasn't even talking back! I held back alot."

"You heard me! Go up to your room now!"

I groaned loudly and stomped up the stairs like a typical teenager. It felt odd to act normal in such an abnormal time, but it also made me smile. Maybe after this was all over, I could be normal. Draco and I could be a normal couple and I could have a normal wedding, a normal marriage, and have babies like normal people do.

But that's probably asking too much.