Too Many Maybes

Today was the Hogsmeade trip I had been waiting for. I had to pull of one of the most impossible missions ever constructed. Okay, maybe that was an exaggeration but let me tell you, it was not going to be easy. 

Getting Draco and Elijah to civilly converse would be tough enough, let alone convincing them to work together. I just had to believe that I can do it. Anything is possible if you believe it hard enough... Although I was having trouble not doubting myself. 

"Want to hang out at Hogsmeade today?" Ginny asked me as I was going over my course of action again.  

"Actually, I'm hanging out with Draco at Hogshead today... I'm really sorry..." 

"It's completely fine. I'm hanging out with Dean today. I just thought I'd ask but I know how you hate being a third wheel. I hope you and Draco have fun! And that you won't be seen!" 

"Wish me good luck. I'm gonna need every ounce," I said with no further explanation. She gave me a curious look but I was already walking towards the line of students waiting for their day off.  

I saw both Draco and Elijah in the line but tried not to look at either of them. I didn't want to give anything away until I absolutely had to. This was not something I wanted to mess up like I did everything else. 

Once I was outside, I walked briskly to Hogshead so that I would arrive first. For once, things worked out because when I walked through the sketchy doors, I didn't see either of them.  

I went to the bar and ordered three butterbeers and then took at seat at a table with four chairs around it. I quickly scanned the rest of the bar to make sure no one else from my school was in here. 

"Okay, breathe," I said to myself as I saw Draco round the corner. "Hey," I said when he spotted me.  

"Hey," he said, kissing me quickly on the lips before occupying the chair next to mine. "We've never been out in the public like this before. It's kind of amazing, isn't it?" 

"It is! And slightly nerve-racking," I explained, feeling a sharp pang of guilt since we wouldn't be alone on our first public outing; no matter how private it may have been. 

"Here are your butterbeers," the server said, placing the three dirty glasses on the table.  

"Why are there three glasses?" 

"Well...uh--" Just then, Elijah walked through the door.  

Elijah and Draco looked at each other before turning to me and saying, "I thought we were going to be alone," at the exact same time. 

I giggled nervously to lighten the mood. "Well, I don't really know what to say..." 

"How about you explain yourself first?" Draco said, crossing his arms and waiting for an explanation. 

"I just... I needed to get you two to talk and work things out because we really need to get that thing fixed and it's not happening because you," I said, eyeing Draco, "are too proud and you," I eyed Elijah this time, "are too self-absorbed to do it yourselves so I had to intervene." 

"I'm not staying here if he stays," Elijah announced and Draco nodded his head in agreement. Great, they agree on something! 

"Please...for me...?" I said, pouting my lips and pulling the puppy dog eye trick. 

They stayed silent for a few moments before saying, "Fine," in unison. "Great!" I exclaimed and motioned for Elijah to take the seat across from me. 

"So, first things first: You two have to stop hating each other so much. It's unnecessary and it's causing unwanted problems." 

"I don't know if I can do that," Elijah began.