Chapter 4: Interrogation

Three men and one woman stared at me with astonishment for a moment before a guardsman named Frank cleared his throat.

"Are you all right, miss?" He asked me.

No, I wasn't. My body was shaking, my ass hurt, and I was looking at armed guardsmen who had a higher level than me.

[Guardsman: lvl 125]

[Guardswoman: lvl 122]

[Guardsman: lvl 134]

[Guardsman: lvl 118]

One of them was so red in the face that the probability of him attacking me was really high. He must have been pretty angered by me for delaying them.

Thoughts of escape did not leave me, but its implementation was now completely impossible. I was so scared I was glad I was standing at all.

When I was asked by the guardsman if I was okay, I just nodded.

"Well, people, do your work," guardsman Frank ordered.

The other guardsmen began inspecting Scoreby's wagon and its contents, while guardsman Frank stayed with me. He has the highest level of them all.

[Guardsman: lvl 134]

"Miss, if you want to enter Castiana, you must have an ID card. You don't have it, so we need to ask you a few questions and verify your identity. You may be surprised, but it's our captain's job. I'll take you to Guards Barracks, where the captain will ask you some questions. I'd appreciate it if you could give me some information I could give our captain before meeting you."

"..." I nodded.

"Very well," Frank said. "Liam, I'll take her with me. Nice to see you and say hello to Marlen for me."

"I'll tell her, Frank," Scoreby smiled. "Miss Grey, I wish you good luck in your life."

"..." I just nodded again.

I wanted to tell him more, maybe thank him, but I couldn't do it right now. I was sorry.

"Please follow me," the guardsman told me.

I didn't want to, but I did not have much choice. My steps were wobbly as I followed him. We went through the city gate, behind which we entered a small guardhouse. The fact that no one was inside didn't calm my nerves, and dark thoughts began to fill my mind.

Frank sat down at the table and pulled a pen and paper from the drawer.

"Sit down, miss," he pointed to a chair across from him.

After a moment's hesitation, I tried to sit in a chair, but what followed was an awkward attempt. The back of the chair made it quite impossible for me to sit. More precisely, my wings and tail did. I could have twisted the tail aside, but I had a bigger problem with the wings.

"There's a stool over there," the guardsman pointed to a wooden stool in the corner of the room.

I immediately exchanged it for a chair. Now I was mad at him for not telling me sooner. I could have saved myself this humiliation.

"Tss..." I hissed in pain when I finally sat down.

Yes, I forgot my bruised ass. However, the guardsman didn't comment on that and waited until I was ready for interrogation.

"Can we start?" he asked.

I nodded "..."

"So, miss, from what Liam Scoresby said, I deduce your last name is Grey?" the guardsman asked.