Chapter 35: Leaflet

After breakfast at Broken Mug and the unexpected finding that Tess was the innkeeper's daughter, I stopped at Broken Heart for my clothes. They dried out overnight. So I quickly ironed them and even though the bloodstains were now more visible than when the laundry was wet, changed into them. It bothered me less than wearing Alyson's clothes.

I was still grateful that she had lent her clothes to me, but the idea she had worn them when she met customers, like Byron, wasn't pleasant at all.

Feeling better in my clothes, I headed straight for the city hall, my first stop before I went to see Mr. Sandoval. The day before yesterday, the two gals dragged me straight from his library.

Okay, they asked politely, but ... I wanted to tell him I was fine before starting the training I had planned for this morning. However, I had to book the said training first.

The entrance hall was livelier than usual today, but that didn't deter me. I pressed my ears to my head and stood in line at the counters, wondering why they hadn't placed more receptionists here.

"Oh, I thought you changed your mind about becoming a seeker when you didn't show up yesterday," Enola said when she saw me. "It's good to see you, miss Grey."

I was hesitant to tell her about the offer I received from the city guards, but in the end, I dismissed the thought. Angering Rayden by talking about something I shouldn't have was something I didn't want to do. Plus, I still needed to go through the first floor of the labyrinth either way.

"Hi, Enola. Is this because of the attack?" I asked about the activity and the number of people in the lobby.

She nodded, "We have more requests than usual. Maybe you could find a better job now."

"Oh, okay, I'll look later," I said, impressed she remembered what I did for a living. But not believing that after the night attack, a job where they would accept me despite my appearance would suddenly appear. "I'd like to book another training session."

"Anything specific?" She asked me as she pulled out a thick book and opened it.

All morning and on my way to city hall, I thought hard about it. Given my limited financial means, the newly discovered [Beast] aspect, and my poor self-defense experience, I decided it would be worth trying close combat.

"Fighting up close, learning how to punch something with my fists or slice it with claws," I said, waiting for the receptionist to react.

My choice startled her, but she recovered quickly and looked at the book, "I have one trainer here who would meet your requirements, but he's a terran!"

"I may be human, but look at me. I don't have a problem with that," I shook my head, realizing that I hadn't spoken to a terran yet.

Well, I talked to Timmy, but he was a kid, that didn't count, and even though I passed dozens of them on the streets every day, I didn't really talk to anyone. It made me nervous.

"I am just asking to avoid later problems. There are people who, let's say, don't like them." She told me and thought, looking at the book, "He would be free at seven, that's in 42 minutes. Does it suit you?"

"I don't have a problem with that," I nodded, even though my plans were different. It was mainly because I didn't expect a free term so soon. While I waited for her to issue me a card, I wondered what else I could ask her.

When Enola filled out the card, she moved it on the counter in front of me, "Here, wait at ten in front of the entrance to the training halls."

"Okay, can I ask you something else?" I asked, waiting for her nod. "To become a seeker, I have to go through the first floor of the labyrinth, but I know almost nothing about it. Just that there are no maps to the labyrinth because the floors are constantly changing and horned rabbits inhabit it."