Chapter 37: Companies

I stopped in my tracks as I looked at the first notification.

(ding) Tail of Poison Empress reaches lvl 5

"What...when?!" I muttered, confused and panicked. Wondering where I used the skill, I hoped I didn't unknowingly kill anyone. I struggled to remember just to realize I was in a foul mood in the morning, and I didn't want to be bothered as soon as I opened my eyes. So I did not read the notification.

The realization that this must have happened at night as I slept, hugging my tail, that I was the only one who was poisoned, calmed my mind. No one died, and according to the absent death system notifications, neither did I.

With a smirk on my face, I looked at the rest.

There were a lot of them!

(ding) Spatial Domain reaches lvl 6

(ding) Spatial Domain reaches lvl 7

...

(ding) Perfect Equilibrium reaches lvl 4

(ding) Perfect Equilibrium reaches lvl 5

(ding) Perfect Equilibrium reaches lvl 6

...

(ding) Painless Agony reaches lvl 7

...

(ding) Tireless Machine reaches lvl 10

(ding) Tireless Machine reaches Tier II

This is unexpected! I had to push my limits during training more than I thought. Tier II, Hmm? Suppressing my curiosity, I looked at the rest of the notifications first.

(ding) Swift as a Whip reaches lvl 7

(ding) Swift as a Whip reaches lvl 8

...

(ding) Inner Perception reaches lvl 6

When I saw how many levels I had gained in just two hours of training, I would almost say it was worth the money, almost. Despite the progress I made, it did not relieve me of the awkward feeling I had, the feeling I had now every time I had to pay something. I was very reluctant to do it. Well, when I thought about it, the food was an exception, but it still bothered me.

It was not in my nature. Although I didn't spend it in vain, I wasn't stingy or a hoarder. I thought twice before I bought something, but when I decided to do it, I bought it and did not regret my decision later.

"Ha..." I breathed in frustration.

It bothered me, perhaps because I was still too attached to what I used to be, hoping to return to my old life unchanged. Shaking my head, attributing this indecision and a reluctance to give up money to the imprisonment trauma, I looked at the last notification.

(ding) Beast reaches lvl 8

"Of course," I chuckled.

A few more skills approached level ten, but contrary to the curiosity I felt about these skills' progress, I was more cautious with the second tier of [Beast]. I must admit that I was a little worried about how it would affect the changes. Not worried enough to get rid of the skill, though.

Lost in thought, I intended to look at the description of the new tier of [Tireless Machine] when a man appeared at the edge of my perception. If I didn't pay attention to my surroundings while I slowly went to Enola, I would bump into him.

Instead, I took a step back in time and looked at the man who had deliberately got in my way.

A head taller, muscular, oval head, shaved with short dark hair and eyebrow piercing, gave me the impression of goon. That was my first impression of him. What he was missing was just some tattoo and a cigarette in his mouth, and it would be perfect.