Chapter 108: Trust

While some were still laughing and he himself had an amused smirk on his face, Deckard came up and offered me his hand. "Come on, get up."

Just because I laughed with him didn't mean he was forgiven. However, I had so many questions, questions about the classes I could choose from, questions I didn't want to ask here surrounded by so many strangers.

So I accepted his proffered hand, and with his help, got back on my feet.

Of course, I let go of my best friend and wrapped him back around my waist to keep at least a bit of dignity. Sage did a great job of keeping me calm, relatively. His services were no longer needed, though. The dread that gripped my gut and squeezed my heart was gone, replaced by immense relief and tremendous joy.

"I will no longer have to be a slave," I whispered.

"In my eyes, you never were, girl."

What was that supposed to mean? More bullshit like an Overgrown Duster? Ah, no! That wasn't it. Guess he was telling the truth. After all, he never took me as a woman, either. To him, I was always just a girl.

Damn, that guy was giving me a hard time. I should have been mad at him, but instead, I fought the urge to hug him.

Fuck it!

I wrapped my arms around him in an embrace, fluttering wings in delight while doing so. "Thank you."

The genuine surprise on his face was priceless. The poor man didn't even know whether to hug me back or not. In the end, he went for an odd pat on my head. The whistle of some guardsmen seeing more behind my hug than there was made it even more awkward.

"I understand you hate your class, but you shouldn't rush your decision," he said, glancing around. "Like some idiots."

A chuckle escaped my throat. "No...no, no, no,...I have so many questions." I said, ignoring the loud disapproval of some of the city guards, men and women, at his remark.

"I'm sure, but not here." He said and paused. "You can let me go now, girl."

Oh, sure, I let him out of my embrace, now feeling a bit embarrassed the hug lasted longer than I intended. Even more so when my stomach rumbled again, reminding me and everyone else of my hunger.

"Maybe a proper lunch first?" I asked, while wondering where the healer who deserved my thanks had gone. He did a damn good job, as my regeneration didn't cause me any more pain, but my hunger remained.

"Hmm, lunch...what do you say, San?"

Rayden nodded at Deckard's question. "Reasonable. I think all of Squad Four earned it."

"Not me, Captain?" came a familiar, sonorous voice.

"You think you did, Farshine?"

Clay, how could I forget the guardsman who made me push through the last level to class evolution? He stood among the guardsmen, thoughtfully scratching the back of his head as his eyes fell on me. Was he pissed? I couldn't tell.

"Think twice before you answer me. You were nearly beaten by someone with no class evolution and no training." Rayden warned him the moment he took a breath to answer.

"Sorry, ma'am."

"You should! It's nothing to be proud of," she said sharply, raising her voice for all to hear. "Instead, it reflects badly on all Castiana City Guards, including me!"

She let her words sink in. "I don't want you to have the kind of determination that Grey showed here. That's extreme, but you've all seen where it can get you. She matched one of you, you who've trained for years. How do you intend to keep order on the streets when more like her show up?"